• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do I successfully cook frozen veggies?

CanadianBakin'

I'd much rather cook fresh but I have some major health issues right now and a new baby due next week so I'm trying a frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix. I can't seem to figure out a way to cook them without them coming out a bit rubbery. Does anyone know how to cook them? I've tried steaming them in a bit of water in a covered saucepan and microwaving. I've considered roasting but haven't tried that yet and I have an veggie steamer in the back of the cupboard I would consider trying if you think that would be any better than just steaming in a saucepan. Any ideas or does everyone always use fresh.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Any ideas or does everyone always use fresh.

I wish!

I even eat canned vegetables. :shock: I think some are better in both taste and texture than the frozen. Just put a serving in a ramekin and mic it for a minute. :blink:

The secret: lots of butter and garlic! :biggrin:

How about a quick stir in a wok, followed by steaming with the lid on for a couple of minutes. I used to get a nice mix of veg frozen that was made for that, and I believe it had brocolli, cauliflower and carrot among other things. A bit of oyster sauce if you want.

I find that frozen corn tastes "flat" to me, so I generally saute it in butter with minced onions, a bit of garlic and a touch of sugar. I almost alwas find that a pinch of sugar will help any naturally sweet veg that's been frozen, and for those with a slightly bitter profile, like broccoli or cauliflower, I prefer a bit of lemon, fresh juice if I have it, or a dash of a seasoning like McCormicks Lemon & Herb.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 2 weeks later...
Trader Joe's has a frozen haricot verts that are great tossed with OO and salt and roasted at high heat until a little crispy. Very convenient.

are you sticking them in the oven still frozen? or thawed first?

Frozen. So simple and yummy !

Frozen carrots always and forever, no matter what, come out with a nasty texture IMO. It works much better to cook em and then freeze em and thaw as needed for a brief reheat. Even then, its not a great result.

Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach & peas respond well to the nuclear oven - bit of water, lid and hit the buttons. It does help if you like your veg a bit soft because the crispness went away in the freezing process, so instead you get a bit of 'chew' if you stop before the soft stage.

Then drain and add any sauce or topping you please.

The spinach does ok with a quick saute instead, after it thaws.

Good luck with the veg, your health, and your pending-new-arrival.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Vegetable mixes are usually leftovers and "culls" or outcasts from the vegetables that are bagged as a single product. Keep that in mind.

It is cheap to buy the mix, but you will really be better off buying storebrands that are dedicated to one variety than buying a name brand mix. Seriously. A bag of this, that and the other, then mix if you want - is a much better strategy regarding cost vs. quality.

You have a lot of good suggestions on preparation, and I really can't add anything there.

Frozen cut green beans braise well, I think. Try them in a saucepan with a can of undrained diced tomatoes, a couple of diced slices of bacon, a chopped onion, s&p, and some ground fennel. Add water as necessary until they are nearly covered. Simmer with the lid ajar for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Yum.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Trader Joe's has a frozen haricot verts that are great tossed with OO and salt and roasted at high heat until a little crispy. Very convenient.

I prefer TJ's haricots verts (from France, no less!) to fresh. So shoot me. I like a classic almondine -- boil or steam the beans until they're done, dammit, then toss with the lightly browned butter and toasted almonds.

I've never had a lot of luck nuking frozen veg.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I like a classic almondine -- boil or steam the beans until they're done, dammit, then toss with the lightly browned butter and toasted almonds.

Hoooray! now that you, the respected Maggie, have said that......I can come out of the closet ! I hate undercooked green beans, and LOVE cooked one, esp almondine :wub:

"Course, I really like almost ANYTHING with brown butter......... :raz:

Thank you, Maggie.

I was taught in school that freezing or canning actually was a fantastic way of preserving nutrients what would otherwise be lost on long trecks from wherever they were actually grown. With frozen veggies I find that the damage done to the cell walls by freezing acts as a form of "cooking," or tenderizing. I just steam them over a wicker basket to heat them through, then add some coarse salt.

I like a classic almondine -- boil or steam the beans until they're done, dammit, then toss with the lightly browned butter and toasted almonds.

Hoooray! now that you, the respected Maggie, have said that......I can come out of the closet ! I hate undercooked green beans, and LOVE cooked one, esp almondine :wub:

"Course, I really like almost ANYTHING with brown butter......... :raz:

Thank you, Maggie.

You're welcome, Girlfriend. Oh, the ghastly 90s and early oughts when all veg and fish were undercooked

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Undercooked green beans are just nasty (Of course overcooked ones aren't great either).

Anyway, My usual trick with frozen veggies is to gently heat them in butter and use their own moisture to cook them - you may need a splash of water (Or small glug of white wine if you have an open bottle to hand) for things like brocolli (Not that I recommend frozen brocolli).

If it's peas I often fry some streaky bacon or pancetta and cook in the released fat, along with a little butter.

Frozen spinach can be a pain if it is the stuff frozen in balls, it takes ages to thaw and if you turn the heat up you just scorch and overcook the outside. I recommend Microwaving and then sauteing with a little butter/olive oil and some garlic.

I love animals.

They are delicious.