• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do they know what they're talking about?

Dave Hatfield

If I did it right there's a link to today's NY Times article on visiting Paris here.

My question to all of the knowledgeable Parisians who hang out around here is did they get it right?

Given the time they had to spend would you have chosen the places to eat that they did?

This lad from the boon docks looks forward to your answers.

If I did it right there's a link to today's NY Times article on visiting Paris here.

My question to all of the knowledgeable Parisians who hang out around here is did they get it right?

Given the time they had to spend would you have chosen the places to eat that they did?

This lad from the boon docks looks forward to your answers.

Well, I don't know the couscous place and will no longer return to l'Atelier because when I eat I desire to talk with folks vis a vis. But I had a great dinner at Comptoir and mixed results at lunch and I like Mulot's patisserie. So I guess while all of us would disagree on details of where to spend 36 hours, they got it pretty much right. Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

So I guess while all of us would disagree on details of where to spend 48 hours, they got it pretty much right.

Pretty much right, yes. The shopping and sightseeing tips are OK. Le Louvre, Carrousel du Louvre, designer clothes in Le Marais, les Puces, can't get more basic than that. Not taking any risks but that's precisely what that kind of article is about. Restaurant choice is not so great though. (I don't know the couscous place either so can't say anything about it.) But for various reasons I don't think it's wise to recommend Le Comptoir anymore, especially in a media with such a large audience.

I'm surprised also that they recommend cimetière de Montparnasse for a time range of 48 hours. If visiting cemeteries is an option, rather head to Père-Lachaise as a first choice.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

So I guess while all of us would disagree on details of where to spend 48 hours, they got it pretty much right.

But for various reasons I don't think it's wise to recommend Le Comptoir anymore, especially in a media with such a large audience.

I agree, it's already extreamly difficult to get in for dinner, so why bother writing it up when people most likely won't be able to get a reservation anyway. I love le Comptoir, but there are other places that I like just as much where booking is no problem.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Restaurant choice is not so great though.
It strikes me that the places listed here that you can actually get into are designed to be part of a guessing game as to which country you're in. Not a single bistro that the French would go to in search of their own familiar cuisine.

Russ Parsons once wrote (in these pages I believe) of

...the growing uniformity I find in restaurants around the world. It gets to the point that I sometimes can't tell which city I'm in - Paris, London, Alba, LA? Roughly the same ingredients prepared in roughly the same way."
That would certainly apply to MacRobuchons. Edited by John Whiting (log)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

So many variables: age group, budget, first timer to Paris, and then add all the different interests....this goes for food, lodging etc. First timers 4th, 5th and 6th....I now prefer elsewhere. Plenty for all to enjoy in their own way!!

Happy Holidays to all............

Joan