• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

VAR INFO REQUEST

oakvilleonca

The Var is one part of Provence that does not get as much attention as,say, the Luberon or nearby Cotes d'Azur. We are planning a two week trip there next April. I have at least seven guide books that are helpful, but I would appreciate having members share some of your experiences.

• 4 weeks later...

Varmint, does your posting name have anything to do with the topic at hand? I like the area around Tourtour (I had a very nice meal a few years ago at Les Chenes Verts which gets 16/20 in the Gault-Millau) up to Moustiers. It's very scenic in a hilly and lush way. La Bastide de Moustiers (Ducasse owns it) is charming and has decent food. It isn't all that expensive. If you want to splurge on a suite, take the second most expensive since the seperate apartment i its own building is kind of bad taste. The food can be quite good, but you have to eat what the kitchen choses.

Fayence and the surrounding area is also pretty. It's good for looking at antiques. Le Castellaras is a very pretty retaurant, but dine there at your peril. The place gives off strong vibes of caring more about your money than making you happy.

I'm not familiar with the coast, but after seeing it featured on Gourmand TV (France's weak equivalent of The Food Network) I am dying to try a cafe-restaurant in Rayal Canadel sur Mer called Maurin des Maures. It is east of Le Lavandou. In fact, I plan to explore that whole area during my next trip to France.

I have been, however, to L'Ile Porquerolles, off the coast of Hyeres. Le Mas du Langoustier is a comfortable hotel that had a splendid kitchen when I was there three years ago.. If Joel Guillet is still in the kitchen, it is worth a stay, but it may still be closed when you are there as it may reopen not until the end of April

Russ lives in Grasse, Alpes-Maritimes, but he gets around in Provence!

I humbly suggest to also consider my own website: www.aboutprovence.com where you find various articles on towns and villages in the Var.

Although perhaps not much discussed in this forum, the Var is (after Paris) the most visited region in France, with the coast (St Raphael, Ste Maxime, St. Tropez, etc) as the biggest attraction. But the other regions of the Var (the Haut Var, the Green Var) are equally or even more interesting. And, as Robert mentioned, the islands off Hyeres, but off season.

Forgot to mention that I live in the Var.

Frieda

All:

Thanks for the information. For a while I thought that there was no one around who was particularly interested in the Var.

My interests focus more on the "interior". We have been to many other parts of Provence over the past several years but this next time I wanted to explore more out-of-the-way places in the Var. We have been to Canyon du Verdon area previously.

We really like historic remote villages, twisty roads, quaint B & B's, small local restaurants, museums, gardens, cliffs, caves and the like. We will probably be starting in Nice in April 2003 and work our way N. and E. and then S. to the coast and then back to Nice airport. Ten days to two weeks in all.

John B.

ps. I also started and moderate a Yahoo Group called The Magic of Provence at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence