• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish tacos in Charleston

chefseanbrock

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same urge and started a quest for exact same thing about a year ago. My results were that Charleston, albeit, we are on the coast, does not have teh fish tacos, sushi, or just plain plethora of seafood one might think. Much of our seafood comes from Inland Seafoods..which is still great! Crosby's, too, obviously, and a LOT of local stuff...but I had the same fish taco cravbing and I think the suggestion of Coast is right on. In teh same lineage and actually same ownership is Taco Boy on Follly Beach. Same style with more varirty. I think there is a difference between fish tacos, mexican fish tacos and even californian fish tacos. I was THIS close to starting a taquito cart here selling chorizo, fish, pork and chicken MEXICAN style tacos. I have honestly been told quite a few times that the best fish tacos and mexican in general in Charleston is actually found in the Luncheonette carts driven by Mexican drivers. Typically a large, white bread style truck, with crudely painted logo. They usually park in North Charleston alobg Rivers Avenue, Goose Creek on Red Bank Road across from Amazon, across from Dragon Palace/Family Cirlce Cup in parking lot on Daniel Island and at larger, busier construction projects all over america. A friend recently exlaimed El Mercadito and Santi's were secondary to his Taco Cart. He told a tale of a whole tilapia lighttly fried, server with some slaw of sorts, cilantro, a side of salsa, tortillas, and hot sauce. The vendor had food permits, and my friend even ate at a small table next to truck... nice... I am going to try this soon. Scary, but the flavor is probably there....

Sure thing, Chef Brock .. Coast and Cazon both have really delicious fish tacos ... hope you can get to one of them and try them out ...

Any more info on Cazon? A quick web search came up empty. Thanks.

CharlestonFoodCompany.com

Charleston, South Carolina Food and Beverage Discussion Forums and Food Photography!

I haven't tried them yet, because I can't break away from ordering their burgers, but Poe's Tavern on Sullivan's Island has fish tacos. They always look good.....Someone go try some, so I'll know if I should order one next time I'm down there! :smile: