• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Almond Paste - How Should We Use It?

chezcherie

Wow! Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone!

Sugarnspice, you're right, it IS 7lbs! :shock:

I think I have a good start now. I just hope all my friends like almond, or I'm in trouble!

A marzipan village - now that's funny! I bet my brother would actually do that, too. :laugh:

Here's another addtion to the problem - I've made a few Pavlovas in the last couple of days, so I have TONS of egg yolks in the fridge. I thought I remembered reading a thread somewhere about almond paste and egg yolk desserts, but now I can't find it. Anyone remember that or have any suggestions that use both?

Thanks again for all the help, guys!

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

These are really good, a Gale Gand recipe

Lisa’s Almond Macaroons

Makes 2 dozen macaroons

8 ounces almond paste, cut into large pieces

2 cups powdered sugar

½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

¼ cup egg whites (from 2 to 3 large eggs)

4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Have ready a pastry bag fitted with a large (1/2-inch) plain tip and a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the almond paste with the powdered sugar on low speed until smooth. Add the vanilla and then the egg whites, and mix until the mixture becomes a smooth batter.

Fill the pastry bag with the batter and pipe 1¼-inch-diameter disks (about the size of a half dollar) about 1-inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheet.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the macaroons are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool on the cookie sheet.

Using a fork, drizzle the chocolate over the macaroons and allow to set up.

One of Lidia Bastianich's cookbooks has a recipe for pignoli cookies, if you feel like splurging on them too. I think it's basically egg whites, sugar, almond paste ahd pine nuts.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)