• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any suggestions?

jscarbor

This list is really good and affordable for a restaurant. I like the Davis Family Syrah, I think they just added that and at $44 its nearly a steal? I also like that Etude Pinot but not looking to break the bank this dinner. Anybody see anything that jumps out on the european side? $30-45 range.

http://catalanfoodandwine.com/wines.html

Edited by jscarbor (log)

Without knowing what you're eating, in the price range you suggest I like for whites:

Foreau Vouvray Sec

Lamy St. Aubin

But I may save money and get the Brundlmayer (it's misspelled on the list) Gruner Veltliner

For reds in the price range:

Rostaing Coteaux du Languedoc

Triacca Valtellina Superiore (asking it be decanted two hours before I show up)

If, saving money, I'd consider the Guelbenzu "Evo"

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Billiot Brut Rose for $38 is an amazing deal.

I didn't even look at the sparkling (shame on me), but this is the best deal on the list, and trumps all other recommendations.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Wow! Glad I decided to post here. We will pretty much be eating all the "small plates" on the dinner menu. For instance we will have the Fois Gras bon bons, the fresh anchovies, spicy garlic shrimp, spanish cheeses, pork belly with cane syrup glaze, seared tuna, sweetbreads, bacon and sage grits. Anything here pair exceptionally with some of you folks recomendations?

I should add that my friends LOVE Pinot(so do I). What Pinots (Note the Flowers Pinot) look good on here in european versions(Burgundy?)?

I really said Europeans becasue we never order europe wines since we are less familiar but certainly note anything else that catches your eye.

I say that to my untrained eye this is one of the most fun wine lists I've seen.

Edited by jscarbor (log)

First off, I notice the Billiot Rose is on the printable wine list, but not on the one brought up by the link itself. It's also going to have plenty of pinot noir in it.

Regarding Burgundy, if you are stuck to your price range, there are none available to you. If you're more flexible than that, go with the Chauvenet Nuits-St. George.

Billiot Rose was excellent but was priced higher than whats on the printable wine list.

I also ordered a Foxen Pinot that was slammin good.

The Triacca Valtellina Superiore was very good and a hell of a deal.

Thanks for the advice, i'll try and be a little more detailed later.

Billiot Rose was excellent but was priced higher than whats on the printable wine list.

The Triacca Valtellina Superiore  was very good and a hell of a deal.

I wonder if the $38 for the Billiot on the printable list was for a half-bottle. At any rate, glad you liked it. Billiot is an excellent grower-producer of Champagne. And it looks like we have another convert to Valtellina wines (which are, as you mention, a hell of a deal -- particularly compared to other Italian wines made from the nebbiolo grape, Barolo and Barbaresco).

The Triacca Valtellina Superiore  was very good and a hell of a deal.

I wonder if the $38 for the Billiot on the printable list was for a half-bottle. At any rate, glad you liked it. Billiot is an excellent grower-producer of Champagne. And it looks like we have another convert to Valtellina wines (which are, as you mention, a hell of a deal -- particularly compared to other Italian wines made from the nebbiolo grape, Barolo and Barbaresco).

The Valtellina drinks better than most of the $60 bottles of Barola I've had recently.