• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sonoma recommendations?

Swicks

Hey all,

I will be heading up to the Sonoma Area with my family for a few days after Christmas and wanted some sage advice from all of you here.

Looking for some vinter recs in the area. We will probably be in the Healdsburg area predominantly and most likely staying in Santa Rosa. We are red wine people mostly, my parents are predominately Pinot and I am big on Pinot as well but I also enjoy Zins and really any interesting reds. Some interesting whites would be enjoyable as well. We will probably be hitting some of the major ones such as J and Gary Farrell (two my parents love) and would love to hit some smaller, less touristy special vinters as well that offer some new and different tastes. We are all educated on wine but by no means pros.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Joseph Swan Winery in the Russian River Valley produces some really excellent vineyard select Pinots and Zinfandels. The winemaker opens for tastings on the weekends so if you'll be there on a weekend I highly recommend stopping to visit.

Swan Winery

Unti Vineyards in Dry Creek Valley is another favourite - for their Rhone varietal wines - but I think you would have to make an appointment to visit.

Unti Vineyards

I hope that helps.

ridge in geyserville isn't far from healdsburg and really shouldn't be missed if you are a zin lover. a smaller producer also in the healdsburg area, on dry creek road (iirc) is unti. solid producer of syrah,zin,grenache, and sangiovese. nice people too.

eta: didn't see the above recomendation of unti.sorry. i believe unti is open during the day for sales, but a tour would have to be reserved.

Edited by wkl (log)

thanks mangosteen!

wkl, Ridge is a big favorite of mine, particularly the geyserville and lytton springs blends, so I am sure that will be a stop for us.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

If you like zin, spend a day in dry creek valley and hit all of the small producers that you never see on store shelves. Amphora, Bella, Yoakim Bridge, Quivera, and you must see Ferrari Carano Winery. Drive across to Anderson valley and have lunch at the Jimtown store.

Best,

Mike

Dry Creek : Deux Amis and Wilson are located in an old tin barn. Great Zins.

Russian River: Arista does good pinot, Hartford Court across the board makes good wine.

I second Mikes suggestion on Bella and Mangosteen's suggestion on Swan. Iron Horse is usually a good stop for bubbles. In Santa Rosa make an appointment with Siduri

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??