• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green, unripe bananas

cookaburra

As bananas are not as cheap as they used to be here in Australia due to a cyclone ealier this year that knocked out most of the plantations,I thought I had found a bargin purchasing a bunch of green bananas.Two weeks later they are still green and hard. :sad:

I have not tried putting them in a brown paper bag with a ripe fruit as I figured they would ripen soon enough.

Does this sometimes happen to poor quality bananas?

PS.The price of bananas has finally begun to drop from the previous mark of $12/kg back down to about $5/kg. :biggrin: They used to be $2/kg before the cyclone.

Mist them with a little bit of fresh water before putting them in the bag. 2-3 days they should be bright and sunny.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Are you sure you didn't purchase plantains?-Dick

Yes they are not plantains.I think they were picked too early and may have experienced some temperatures not agreeable to the ripening process prior to my purchase. :hmmm:

Thanks sb.I'll checkout the technical dope

I grow bananas in my back yard and they are as organic as it gets. I don't do anything to them except throw some leaves at the base to mulch them. They ripen with no chemical additives. Never had a problem once they were cut from the tree. They even ripen on the tree if I forget to check on them.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Speaking of putting bananas in the refrigerator, I learned a trick some years ago. If you put bananas in a WHITE plastic bag at the bottom of the refrigerator, they will keep without turning black (or at least without turning black so fast). I don't do this before they are ripe because it slows the ripening so much.