• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cordon bleu

David Naylor

I am having a debate with somebody at the moment regarding the term cordon bleu, not the cooking school but the filling of meat with ham and cheese.

I am being told that the term in the US, and nowhere else, means 'stuffed with ham and cheese'

I am not aware the term is US related only, am i right in thinking that the term is used elsewhere to mean 'stuffed with ham and cheese'??

This guy is one of them dam journalist types :wink:

Regards

David

Food Timeline thinks it was an American invention of the 1960s, but I've seen references to Veal CB being of Swiss or Italian origin.

Some recipes indicate veal or chicken covered with a slice each of ham and emmenthal, then grilled. Later recipes either stuff the meat or sandwich the filling between two slices before breadcrumbing and frying.

I can vouchsafe that chicken CB is ubiquitous in the touristy parts of Croatia. Quite appalling to a gastronomic purist, but very large, greasy & satisfying.

Not that I'm bored or anything... :smile: , but the BBC website has a Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe from AWT here. I think that it has mostly gone out of fashion, but I wouldn't have been surprised to find that Waitrose or M&S were selling it alongside such gems as Chicken Kiev.

Back to the original question, a bit of cursory research points to Veal Cordon Bleu (or Schnitzel Cordon Bleu) from Austria or Switzerland as the source of that particular combination, it may have developed as Chicken Cordon Bleu in the US.

Like lots of "classic" dishes whose reputations have been ruined by poor quality mass catering imitations, Chicken Cordon Bleu properly cooked with decent ingredients can still be a fine dish, albeit not quite the pinnacle of haute cuisine that it once was.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember being rather partial to it as a kid - every self respecting international style bar restaurant in a spanish tourist resort does it. I seem to remember it seeming like quite a sophisticated choice.....

I was quite offput one time when it came covered in gravy though - molten cheese and gravy isn't really my cup of tea.

Anyway, chicken cordon bleu is far more respectable than the myriad of 'kiev' varieites on offer in your average supermarket freezer - chicken korma kiev anyone?

I love animals.

They are delicious.