• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Kobe/Wagyu Dishes?

Bueno

the house on parliament (456 parliament @ carlton) has a kobe burger every wenesday. one of the best burgers i've ever had. i've been told that some places 'bulk' up the ground kobe with standard beef; but i know that theirs is the real thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to believe, but Milestone's (yes, the chain restaurant) has "Kobe Beef Meatloaf" on the menu now.

An incredulous query sent to Cara, the parent company, resulted in an e-mail response explaining that the beef they use in their meatloaf is Wagyu, and that they are legally allowed to use the name "Kobe" due to the fact that the beef they use is from the same type of cattle as Kobe beef, and raised under the same conditions, but in North America.

I was intrigued enough to order the meatloaf, and it wasn't bad, served with decent mashed potatoes and an acceptable mushroom gravy, alongside a lousy gorgonzola bread pudding.

I still think it's misleading to use "Kobe" on their menu, and I shudder to think what parts of the beef are used to make the meatloaf. We can all take it for granted that it's not from the best, most valuable, parts of the cow.

I ordered it because I was in the mood for comfort food, but I would have been just as happy eating meatloaf made using the same AAA-grade beef that Milestone's uses for their other beef dishes.

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)

Courtyard restaurant in Ottawa has a pretty cool Kobe dish. they get their Beef from snake river farms. The cut they choose was Flat Iron, which is very underutalized. It comes with grilled sweet peppers, cippolline onion poached in beure monte, and kimchee. They have a tasting menu format, the course proceeding it is a shrimp dish. tempure gulf shrimp, Shrimp mousseline, orange tatsoi salad, orange sauce, and copeux potatoes.

Its quite good.