• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

thomas kellers flan

thecuriousone

Hi All-

I'm at my moms and need some help. I copied what I thought was the complete flan recipe from thomas kellers bouchon cookbook.

Well, it seems that I got pages 263 and 265 and 264 was not copied. Can some one help me out? The stores are closed, the libraries are closed and all I remember that the custard needs to sit overnight before baking.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Hi All-

I'm at my moms and need some help.  I copied what I thought was the complete flan recipe from thomas kellers bouchon cookbook.

Well, it seems that I got pages 263 and 265 and 264 was not copied.  Can some one help me out?  The stores are closed, the libraries  are closed and all I remember that the custard needs to sit overnight before baking.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Is it the Creme Caramel recipe that you are looking for? It says that "the caramel cups can be held at room temp for days"

I see nothing about leaving it overnight.

Send me your email address and I'll send you the page.

Kathy

Hi Kathy-

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up running to Barnes and Noble yesterday morning to verify what I thought I missed. Turns out that I had the complete recipe and was just mis-inerpreting it.

To say it was a hit is an understatement. I am particularly pleased becaused one of the reasosns i wanted to prepare it is that my Dad is very ill and we are trying to get calories into him any way we can. For someone who swears his taste buds are shot, he keeps asking for, "just a spoonful". We are estatic.

This brings me to my last question. Is there a way to freeze custard? I always understood that you could not freeze a coooked custard. I'd like to leave my mom with a supply of the custard for after the holidays. Can I prepare the custard base and freeze it as as liquid? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thomas Keller rocks!

While I love Thomas Kellers recipe and have not tasted one that matches it, my mom feels that if its coming from him, it must be too hard to do.