• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Bottle designs

Kent Wang

The Vieux Carre Absinthe bottles from Philadelphia Distilling are gorgeous. I love how the design on the label looks like the ironwork from French Quarter balconies. If you look really closely, you can see some of the herbs (hyssop, mint, etc.) contained within are part of that design. Pretty cool. It's damned tasty absinthe too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'll admit to being completely biased by my country of residence, but to my mind the old Finlandia bottle (1970-2000) designed by Tapio Wirkkala was a real beauty. Sadly, shortly after moving to Finland they sneakily updated the bottle design and I missed my chance to save some of the old bottles (no doubt collectors items by now) before they went off the shelf. I'm not sure how well it holds up in photos, but the jagged ice texture of the bottle was very evocative of the icy northern nature image the brand tries to convey. Well matched with Iittala's Ultima Thule glasses also designed by Wirkkala.

=506885.501.jpg

The Bluecoat Gin bottle is not only beautiful, but very comfortable to handle and use as well.

The Bulleit Bourbon bottle is another of my favorites. Not having a neck, it might not be as easy to handle in a speedrail situation, (I imagine) but when making drinks at home, the classic apothecary bottle, and the way you hold it, make one feel they're performing a little alchemy when cooking up a drink.

The Bluecoat Gin bottle is not only beautiful, but very comfortable to handle and use as well.

The Bulleit Bourbon bottle is another of my favorites. Not having a neck, it might not be as easy to handle in a speedrail situation, (I imagine) but when making drinks at home, the classic apothecary bottle, and the way you hold it, make one feel they're performing a little alchemy when cooking up a drink.

That is a cool bottle. Have you seen the 1.75 version though? It's a gigantic version of the regular bottle and I imagine it would take two hands to wield it easily. I want to buy it just for the oversized bottle.

nunc est bibendum...

How could I forget the Zwack Unicum bottle? I am, by my own admission, a sucker for cool packaging, and I bought my first bottle just because I loved the way it looks. Doesn't hurt that I ended up liking the stuff, too.

And, being a huge classic car and motorsports fan, I couldn't resist the Lauretana Water in a bottle designed by Pininfarina. The actual bottle is prettier than the picture suggests; the subtle curves don't really come through. I use the saved bottles for my Nocino.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham