• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spirit Jams

LindyCat

No, I don't mean ghostly apparitions on the toast of Christmas Past.

I have a recipe for a red-wine jam (red zin or merlot work well) that is absolutely out of this world on a loaf of fresh, nutty wheat bread, and wondered if anyone had encountered such a thing for other alcohols. Now that it is far too close to Christmas to make such a thing, I thought a trio of "grown-up" jam would make a great present for any of those people you can't ever seem to buy for. Office folks and the like. I can't think of what might work well, though, perhaps addding a spirit to a juice to make something like rum-passionfruit jelly?

• 2 weeks later...

No good reason why not....although most likely you'd need extra thickener, and you'd need to keep an eye on the batch to make sure the boiling doesn't get out of hand with the extra alcohol content. Probably you'll need to make a couple of batches to test for the thickening you want.

It might not taste very nice, though, unless you select a spirit with a strong flavor that you really, really like. That aside, it might be pleasant for people who don't like their jams overly sweet.

I hope you'll post the result after you try - I look forward to hearing about it!

Mojito jelly

Lime and Gin marmelade

Jalepeno Bloody Mary jelly

tropical fruit and rum

come on keep it going...I dont really drink cocktails

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Mojito jelly

Lime and Gin marmelade

Jalepeno Bloody Mary jelly

tropical fruit and rum

come on keep it going...I dont really drink cocktails

tracey

I've had Margarita jelly from a producer here in Portland, yum....the website doesn't say anything about having used tequila, but I wonder if it's possible....I'd think that the thickening would be really tough with spirits. But I haven't made many jams or jellies in my life.

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass

It also works if you make a standard recipe for jam (or jelly :wink: ) and when it is cooked and off the heat, stir (carefully) in "about" a tablespoon of spirit or liqueur per jar of jam. No need to cook anymore.

Whisky in marmalade is good.

Your imagination will tell you what other flavours will match.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I picked up a trio of spirit jams the other day. Champagne and strawberry, icewine and blueberry, and reisling and marmelade.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.