• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flipping the fish will capsize the boat

Kent Wang

I was always told that the rule only applied while actually aboard a boat. We often flipped the fish at home. It's not messy if you do it right and have two people helping.

I should add that I think it's much better eating if you flip the fish because you have better access to the delicious skin. If you don't flip, you could very well lose some of the skin. And it's not too hard to flip if you employ the assist.

I have to tell this story.

Years ago, I would spend Saturday cooking - making "leftovers" for the rest of the week. Sometimes this would lead to a good Saturday lunch.

One time, I had made a steamed whole fish, and had to put half of it into the frij. Knowing the tradition, I paused for a second to decide whether or not to flip the fish as I put it into the container.

I did NOT flip the fish.

This became important to me later on that afternoon. There was a news story on the radio that the boat of two local fisherman had flipped over. One of them drowned.

If I HAD flipped the fish, I probably would never have gotten over it.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

Yeah, I heard this rule from my chinese friends too. I am not particularly superstitious but if it doesn't hurt to follow, why not? This rule is given attention especially during chinese new year and big family gatherings.

~Saraaaa

Funny, my father was the most superstitious person I knew (he even adopted American superstitions), but I never heard that saying. We always flipped the fish.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

From what I understand, 20+ years of my earlier life living in Hong Kong, this superstition is common only among "Dan Ga" (Cantonese) - meaning fishmen family. Those who work (to catch fish in the Ocean) and live on a boat. They are afraid if they flip the fish, their boat will be flipped in the ocean.

We the commoners who work in other professions and don't live on a boat may not need such an "avoidable".

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"