• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flipping the fish will capsize the boat

Kent Wang

My mother told me that there is a Chinese superstition that if one is eating a fish while aboard a boat, one should not flip the fish over as it would cause the boat to flip over as well. One should instead pull out the skeleton and continue to eat the fish without flipping.

My mother told me that there is a Chinese superstition that if one is eating a fish while aboard a boat, one should not flip the fish over as it would cause the boat to flip over as well. One should instead pull out the skeleton and continue to eat the fish without flipping.

My Swedish ex-girlfriend said the same thing, and I've read that Poles also say this. It seems to be a widespread belief/superstition (depending on how you think about it).

Michael aka "Pan"

Yap. Bad omen. Especially for Chinese fishermen who work and live on a boat.

Typically we consume the top side of the fish, then use chopsticks or a spoon to separate the spinal cord and all the rib bones from the bottom half of the fish, move the bones aside. Then continue to consume the bottom half without ever flipping the fish.

This is an unwritten etiquette in Chinese banquets.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I thought that was just the way one ate fish. I always pull the backbone and ribs out becuase, especially with a delicate fish, it keeps the little bugger from crumbling onto the plate. Plus, it's just cool to play with the bones that way.

At least I know that no boats have flipped on my account.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I have a story about this.

Years ago I was putting leftover steamed fish away. Because I knew of this tradition, I was careful NOT to flip the fish in the process.

Later that day, there was a report on the radio that a local fishing boat had turned over, drowning one fisherman. If I HAD flipped that fish, I would probably have been a wreck when I heard that news.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

This is an unwritten rule in most of the coast line cities and especially Taiwan. However, cities futher in-land are not aware of this custom.

I was born in Wuhan and for the first 5 years of my life, we always flipped the fish over to eat the meat on the other side of the fish (being soaked with sauce, it was my favorite part.) When I was 6 years old, I met my relatives from Taiwan for the first time and while we were eating someone flipped the fish. I thought my relatives were going to have a heart attack. From that day on....sigh....we never flipped a fish.

Edited by XiaoLing (log)

Grew up in Boston, seafaring town by the sea ... never heard of this tradition, but now that I know ...

BTW, the North Shore of Massachusetts now has very many Portuguese and Vietnamese fisherman, so I assume the tradition is spreading in the community as a whole.

Is there any truth to the rumor that the captain of the Titanic had fish and ... :rolleyes::huh::rolleyes::huh:

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

My mother always told me it was "bad luck" but never to this specificity. Interesting. Still, I'm really good about not flipping the bone when I debone a fish and I never flip a fish over.

Yap. Bad omen. Especially for Chinese fishermen who work and live on a boat.

Typically we consume the top side of the fish, then use chopsticks or a spoon to separate the spinal cord and all the rib bones from the bottom half of the fish, move the bones aside. Then continue to consume the bottom half without ever flipping the fish.

This is an unwritten etiquette in Chinese banquets.

Never really heard the superstition and story, but I know that we normally do try to avoid it. I always filed it under the "bad luck" rule. There's a lot of those.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I dare anyone to flip the fish AND leave some grains of rice in their rice bowl!  C'mon, a fortune cooky to the first who does it!  (Only joking!)

Honestly, I'm pretty anal about this as well.  If it ain't broke...

Haha, or stick a pair of chocksticks straight up in a heaping bowl of rice. My parents didn't really teach us manners and food taboos, but I did get scolded for that one when I was around 5 or 6 years old.

I didn't know about the fish flipping taboo even though mom's ancestors were fishermen. I should ask my parents about it.

Hi Ben Sook! I'm doing well. Busy at my job and getting ready for the holidays. Life in NYC is sure fast paced!

Ever heard of the tradition that women are not supposed to eat the wing tips or else they'll be spinsters? I think that's crap. What Chinese person would let food go to waste?

Chicken wings are one of the best parts of the chicken. I'm not giving mine up unless there's some avian flu invovled. Besides, I'm already a spinster according to ancient Chinese culture. :cool::laugh: Pass the cha-siu style wings, please!

Oh yeah! Men aren't supposed to eat those hard boiled eggs, that's right! (But who would want to eat them anyways unless they're deviled? :raz: ) Are there things women aren't supposed to eat?

Oh yeah!  Men aren't supposed to eat those hard boiled eggs, that's right!  (But who would want to eat them anyways unless they're deviled?   :raz: )  Are there things women aren't supposed to eat?

Why? What will happen to one who did?

<<<Blurp...>>> Excuse me...

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"