• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] In need of a bakery....

WetInSeattle

I need to have a couple of cakes made for a gathering I'm having in Houston later this month. I want something good and local (read: mom and pop) and not the usual grocery/Costco mash. Any suggestions? Downtown, Montrose, or Galleria preferred; however, I'm open to other locations.... those are just the ones I can find without mapquest.

I'm visiting and I know that our Homeland Security guys at SeaTac won't allow a cake on board my flight. They're still trying to figure out the Christmas tree debacle - not to mention is 2.5 oz more than 3 oz? But I digress.... :wacko:

Where or who is doing the food? You never got back to us on that question?

I usually get my cakes at Not Jus Donuts on Dowling. They are not fancy but they are really good especially the Red Velvet with the cream cheese frosting or the sock it to me cake. Its locally owned bakery kind of in the hood near downtown. They usually need 1-2 days a notice? 713.951.9211

La Victoria is a mexican bakery with really good cakes as well. 713.921.0861

Moellers on Bellaire Blvd in the Bellaire area. 713.667.0983

I usually get my cakes at Not Jus Donuts on Dowling. They are not fancy but they are really good especially the Red Velvet with the cream cheese frosting or the sock it to me cake. Its locally owned bakery kind of in the hood near downtown. They usually need 1-2 days a notice? 713.951.9211

We've narrowed down the list to Tony Mandola's for catering, Riojas Tapas, Backstreet Cafe, and River Oaks Grill for dinner. I think I've looked at nearly every restaurant in Houston ~ you're really spoiled when it comes to the variety and diversity of food. I just wish that I could find beignets like Cafe DuMond. For the ones we don't choose, I think that we'll have lunch/dinner because the menus look scrumdelicious!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dessert Gallery Bakery & Cafe, 1616 Post Oak Blvd, Houston, TX, is locally owned and very good.

Acadian Bakers, 604 W Alabama St, prepared the groom's cake for my wedding over 14 years ago, and people are still raving. Service here is either excellent or atrocious.

I know you didn't ask for it, but for pies Flying Saucer Pie Company at

436 W Crosstimbers St are amaizing.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

Dessert Gallery Bakery & Cafe, 1616 Post Oak Blvd, Houston, TX, is locally owned and very good.

Acadian Bakers, 604 W Alabama St, prepared the groom's cake for my wedding over 14 years ago, and people are still raving.  Service here is either excellent or atrocious.

I know you didn't ask for it, but for pies Flying Saucer Pie Company at

436 W Crosstimbers St are amaizing.

I can heartily second substituing Flying Saucer pies for cakes anytime!

I can think of 1 pie to not get at F S...the key lime is not very good at all. Pecan is good though. I guess I just see there pies as avg? And the people that waited in line all night to get a pie from them for thankdsgiving must be completely brain dead that they couldn't make a pie equal to the pies there? How hard is it to make a pie?

We've narrowed down the list to Tony Mandola's for catering, Riojas Tapas, Backstreet Cafe, and River Oaks Grill for dinner. I think I've looked at nearly every restaurant in Houston ~ you're really spoiled when it comes to the variety and diversity of food. I just wish that I could find beignets like Cafe DuMond. For the ones we don't choose, I think that we'll have lunch/dinner because the menus look scrumdelicious!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Can I ask why Rive Oaks Grill?