• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peru Trip - Itinerary Recommendations

foodite

If you had 10 days in Peru, about 5 days in Lima and 5 days going back and forth to Cusco and Maccu Piccu - what are some restaurants/markets/tours that are a must in both and everywhere in between?

Of course ceviche, pisco, cuy, and causa are on the list and possibly Astrid & Gaston (is it hard to get a reservation??), but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Two restaurants in Lima that I am planning on are Huaca Pucllana and Mar. I met the owner, chef and pastry chef of Huaca Pucllana at the World of Flavors Conference this past November and had the opportunity to try some of their food. It was delicious. Mar is a relatively new ceviche place in Miraflores by the same owners as Astrid and Gaston.

What time of year are you going?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Two restaurants in Lima that I am planning on are Huaca Pucllana and Mar. I met the owner, chef and pastry chef of Huaca Pucllana at the World of Flavors Conference this past November and had the opportunity to try some of their food. It was delicious. Mar is a relatively new ceviche place in Miraflores by the same owners as Astrid and Gaston.

I'll be there from January 14-24

I don't remember the specific restaurants that we went to, but I remember in Lima we went to a cool restaurant that was near some historical reproduction thing... it was really good. Also, I know this might not be the type of food you are looking for in Peru, but there was also an excellent French restaurant in Lima with a Peruvian twist (I'm sure if you asked around for it they would know what it was).

In Cusco, we went to a tiny pizza place that was on some back alley in a dark building on the 2nd floor (it sounds scary, but its actually really cool!)... they make some of the most interesting pizza I have ever had: the dough is made out of quinoa.... I would highly recommend this place if you can find it, it was probably the best eating experience I had in Peru. If I can find the name of it I will try and post it.

Also, its fun to eat at the restaurant at the hotel that is right next to Maccu Piccu...

In Aquas Calientas, the town below Maccu Piccu, in the famous hotel there (again, dont remember the name)... there is an excellent lunch buffet with a nicely prepared selection for fresh food.

Have fun!

I'll be there from January 14-24

I will look forward to your reports as I will be going a short time later.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks orangeman747 - I'll try to see if I can figure out those places as well, the pizza place sounds intriguing even though I'm not a big fan of quinoa.

docsconz - I was thinking about Mar as well. I'll have to look up Huaca Pucllana, thanks for the suggestion. It's too bad our time in Peru won't overlap, oh well, we'll always have NYC though. =)

LIMA

We were at Astrid y Gaston (Cantuarias 175), and they served up delicious fusion fare, focusing on our favourite: seafood. The menu is seasonal there, a great indication of freshness! The 4 folks next to us (who looked like locals in the know) were all having whole lobsters that really seemed good...

The Cevicheria La Choza Nautica (Brena 204) also had really fresh and tasty ceviches. The options were endless. In case you need an English menu (which we did), just ask. We relied on the waiter to recommend us a ceviche, and it was perhaps the best one we had on our entire Peru trip! Great with beer... (and soak in the atmosphere while you are there)

Enjoy!

LIMA

We were at Astrid y Gaston (Cantuarias 175), and they served up delicious fusion fare, focusing on our favourite: seafood. The menu is seasonal there, a great indication of freshness! The 4 folks next to us (who looked like locals in the know) were all having whole lobsters that really seemed good...

The Cevicheria La Choza Nautica (Brena 204) also had really fresh and tasty ceviches. The options were endless. In case you need an English menu (which we did), just ask. We relied on the waiter to recommend us a ceviche, and it was perhaps the best one we had on our entire Peru trip! Great with beer... (and soak in the atmosphere while you are there)

Enjoy!

Whitegold - Thanks for the tip on the cevicheria!

Does anyone have any experiences with the following place, it sounds fascinating:

SANKUAY: Garcia Leon 114 (between block 3 and 4 of Av. Canada,) Santa Catalina, La Victoria, (011) (51-1) 470-6217. Ceviche and stir fry for two, $25. Monday-Saturday, noon-4 p.m. Chef Javier Wong uses no menus in this small restaurant run out of his home, but he offers one of Lima's best ceviches.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20061016..._fusion_cuisine

• 2 weeks later...

Orangeman, Would the little pizza place you mentioned in Cuzco have been Chez Maggy?

Edited by saltshaker (log)

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!