• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Adventure to Improve Your Looks

K8memphis

Has anyone ever done the 3-day Dr. Perricone Diet??? I was reminded of this yesterday in a post.

I have some health issues that revolve around various inflamations. Years ago I heard this Doctor P saying that the foods on this 3-day thing are anti-inflammatory. Caught my attention. My doctors never seemed to be able to do much for me. I got his book & tried it.

See he's a skin doctor claiming that eating this way will give you a mini face lift. I did not care about the face lift I was very interesting in curbing some of my raging fires.

Lo and behold it worked for me! It helped in so many areas of my body plus I totally got the little face lift as a wonderful side effect. I mean obviously, the face lift is the end to the means for most people trying this--but it really did help!

I do not wear makeup and by the middle of day three, friends are going, "Kate, you're wearing make up." :laugh: not!

So I mean I've done it several several times now. No I don't look like I'm 17 again. Yes if you don't stay off the nono foods, you reverse back to your old more wrinkled self. But it gave me a plumb line for healthy eating to decrease the aggravation my body endured and it shows how to improve your skin, have lighter circles and smaller bags under the eye. Anything that improves your skin improves your brain by the way.

Demonstrates the ravages of a normal diet on us too. Honest.

Now the good Doc sells a bunch of uber pricey creams & whatever. I only bought his book. The diet is outlined online in the link I gave yahs ^^ up there. Liking salmon helps a lot.

Two details not listed online. Always eat the protein first. Cook the oatmeal very slowly--let the water boil, add the oats then turn the fire down as low as it will go for five minutes.

Although I have also used the South Beach Diet to my advantage, I am not a diet junkie. These are the only two diets I've ever tried. I was sick enough to try anything. My gain is your gain if you try it. :wink:

:biggrin: Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah :biggrin:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

PS. I used to have cavernous large pores on my nose, larger than moon craters. Closed 'em up like magic.

Lots of us will pay for the creams, potions and procedures ad infinitum, but would you dare to try this for three days????

Edited by K8memphis (log)

From my experiences (w/ my ex wife) in consciously eating foods for improved health(juicing, "Eating for Beauty" a militant sometimes out-there raw food book with nuggets of info ), the "magic pill" in this diet is primarily the balancing of acid and alkalines. Cantelope is considered alkaline. The dark,or colored foods are high in antioxidents, and the oils in nuts and salmon are the omegas that are good for you. Avoiding excess salt and sugars as they are diuretic, and drinking lots of water(really the single best advice) are the keys to skin health. I'm always suspicious of diet "menues" as they are very narrow, vs. just listing the good things to eat and letting you decide depending on time and what you feel like. When I lived in Japan, I noticed many women in the yakitories eating the grilled pigs foot, when I asked my friend about this, she explained that the protein and gelatine found in the trotter were considered good for the lips and skin, as evidenced by the shiny ring around ones mouth when eating the, um, foot.

The book The Omnivore's Dilemma talks about how it's more the ratio between Omega-3 and Omega-6 that are currently thought to be important for good health.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Ling, after your recent trip to NYC, I can see where this would seem like starvation rations. :wink: Where's the cannoli?

Seriously, I think anyone could do this for three days. But what does only three days of this really do for you? That's the part I'd like to see borne out with research.

Ling, after your recent trip to NYC, I can see where this would seem like starvation rations.  :wink:  Where's the cannoli?

Seriously, I think anyone could do this for three days.  But what does only three days of this really do for you?  That's the part I'd like to see borne out with research.

I agree. Three days is a very short time to effect any change.

What, no coffee? What's a mom with a child who doesn't sleep through the night supposed to do? Ditto on the sourdough toast in the morning, slathered with butter.

And, in the breakfast section, is a person supposed to eat ALL of that? Yikes, by the time I get the kids out the door, it is 9:00 am, and then cook, then have a mid-morning snack?

No coffee doesn't work for me. At all.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm thinking about sneaking one in before Christmas. If I get out to the store today I think I will. I know I'll be doing one in the next few weeks anyway. I gotta get my eating back in line. I'll take pictures before & after. Like I said, you don't look like you're 17 again. But the change is noticeable. But you can't cheat. I mean at least I don't cheat when I do this stuff.

And Ling, no you're not hungry on it. I mean my husband is an endurance athlete, a cyclist, yeah no, not for him while he's training. But the salmon is so high in fat it's very satisfying. Two cups of romaine is a lot of salad, I chiffonade the romaine. You're actually eating all the time kinda. No I'm not hungry doing this. And I've tried to use the canned salmon...cough choke sputter aghch, I go ahead and get nice salmon and cook it off nice each time. It's no biggee.

There's a longer version in the book with deeper results. See if you can get a hold of the book and check out the pictures. It's not the fountain of youth but it does roll back the hands of time enough to make it worth doing.

Yeah, three days is not much time which is why it was so intriquing.

It wo-orks. :biggrin:

Now look at that, we have some people saying they would starve on this diet and someone saying they couldn't eat all that food :blink:

I had some salmon last night.....

tracey

could....couldn't

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Now look at that, we have some people saying they would starve on this diet and someone saying they could eat all that food :blink:

I had some salmon last night.....

tracey

The difference is that I've done it.

...  But what does only three days of this really do for you?  That's the part I'd like to see borne out with research.

Put your salmon (money) where your mouth is...research away!

I know what it does for me.

Wonder what it would do for you.

Ok wait, I wasn't listening well enough about H's question about what it does for you. And you can get around the caffeine headache with some green tea.

For me, my brow line firms up, so my upper eye lid does not sag like it can. My wrinkles are not as deep and my skin tone evens out which is why I get the "You're wearing makeup" comments. Plus my moon crater rivaling open nose pores closed up nicely and have never gotten that awful again. (Poor digestion has been part of my malady which exacerbated the skin issues. It all works hand in hand, right?!)

Y'know how American Bandstand-boy, Dick Clark, looked the same forEVER!! Same same.

This is actually pretty simple to deduce even without doing it.

For example, working backwards, have you ever had a midnight snack of cake and icing to wake up with a fat little bloated face? Sure you have. Do that long enough over a great enough period of time and the wrinkles and sags get comfy and make themselves at home.

So the point here is that the opposite is true as well. Remove the offending foods, replace them with foods that do not inflame, ie bloat, and voila. Pretty easy, really, huh.

And so surprisingly, it makes a noticeable difference in three days.

Two cups of romaine is a lot of salad,

It wo-orks.  :biggrin:

Seems to me that if two cups of lettuce is a 'lot' of salad, then no wonder it works for you. Two cups of romaine is merely the beginning of a salad. If I were making myself lunch, I'd start with that and then add a pile of other veggies, a handful or so of chickpeas, some fish/ham/eggs/feta etc, and you've got yourself a salad, otherwise known as lunch.

What I'm trying to say is that, if one's 'normal' diet includes lots of fresh fruit and veg, a decent amount of oily fish, etc, then this kind of diet isn't going to make much difference.

Mind you, if I could eat the salmon as sashimi, I might be happy eating not much else for three days ...

I said might :wink:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Two cups of romaine is a lot of salad,

It wo-orks.  :biggrin:

Seems to me that if two cups of lettuce is a 'lot' of salad, then no wonder it works for you. Two cups of romaine is merely the beginning of a salad. If I were making myself lunch, I'd start with that and then add a pile of other veggies, a handful or so of chickpeas, some fish/ham/eggs/feta etc, and you've got yourself a salad, otherwise known as lunch.

What I'm trying to say is that, if one's 'normal' diet includes lots of fresh fruit and veg, a decent amount of oily fish, etc, then this kind of diet isn't going to make much difference.

Mind you, if I could eat the salmon as sashimi, I might be happy eating not much else for three days ...

I said might :wink:

I think you miss the point. It's a 3 day eating adventure, not meant to replace normal eating forever. This diet creates a positive chemical reaction in the body. It's not haute cuisine or any kind of cuisine. It's food chemistry. A food adventure.

It all depends on how you eat the fruit too. Some fruit is not at all kind to an already inflamed system.

Yeah it's Christmas, there's been no tempting desserts, no fudge, no cakes, no pastries. I just eat feta cheese and garbonzo beans :wink: 11 o'clock at night I want humus! :rolleyes: No stollen either. Neither cookies nor wine nor nog. Beans and romaine all the way baby.

I'm not a "dieter" but once upon a time, because I wasn't feeling too great overall, I tried some of the ideas that are encompassed within what you are talking about.

Started by eliminating dairy. That was a positive thing for me - may I say I was less snotty? :rolleyes: Probably not. But anyway. You get the idea - a positive physical reaction occured.

White sugar was eliminated next, to be replaced by honey or other sweeteners. May I say that I was less aggrevating? :rolleyes: Probably not, but it made a small physical difference in how I felt over the course of a day.

Caffeine was next to go, replaced by water and herb teas of choice. This was not too hard for me, for during two pregnancies, I had lost the desire for coffee and did without it, so knew it could be done, and might be even a kind thing to do for my physical constitution. May I say that I became a Zen warrior, able to smile at all and bite at none? Nope, but anyway, there might have been a little less intense heart-beating moments due to drinking the stuff as if it were the food of the gods, which I can tend towards doing.

Red meat followed in the exodus. I didn't really long for it for there were many other good things to eat that replaced it, spicy delicious ways of cooking things. May I say that I became fascinatingly gorgeous and always able to answer the doorbell without needing to fluff my hair or check that indeed I did look okay without lipstick? :rolleyes: Guess not, but there was less of that tired feeling after eating a meal that *did* include red meat.

These are all good ideas, excellent ideas, for someone who wants to try a different way of eating in order to possibly feel better (which of course does lead to looking better :wink: ). If one already is completely pleased with the way they feel or the way they look, then obviously there would be no need for these ideas. But if one is *not* (anyone out there? nobody? hmmm :biggrin: ) completely satisfied with the way they look or feel, then these ideas are good ones to try, IMHO.

I'm glad to hear of the good things that the several different "eating adventures" did for you, K8memphis. Best of luck with your most recent entry into adventure, and I will (metaphorically) raise a beansprout to your success! :biggrin:

I am wondering if you lost significant water weight in the three days?

Hmmm. Contemplating this adventure. My skin is looking haggard these days.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I'll see that beansprout, Karen, and raise you one :laugh:

But umm, Annanstee, what happens is that this balances your body's fluids so you retain the right amount of water and avoid inflaming your system that causes aging in general and makes me feel bad in particular. I've never lost weight on this. It's the reset button for my body.

I'm excited that you are considering this. Umm, if you do decide to do it, remember to eat the protein first. My biggest problem is finding a ripe cantelope in Memphis in December. I think that's why I usually skip doing this in the winter. But I just got all the fruits and fish and stuff so I'm commited for the next three days.

It will help me eat better on Christmas too after all the investment.

So I will pig out less.

< oink :raz:

Good luck! :smile: I'm interested in reading your update in a few days. I tried eating half the bread and chocolate I normally eat during the first 3 days after I got back from our rather food-heavy NY trip, and lost the pound I gained on the trip, plus another pound. I know I get really bloated the more alcohol, pastries, and coffee I consume, so I definitely think eliminating these foods would improve your skin. I admire your willpower for doing this around the holidays too, with all the parties and holiday meals going on!

Edited by Ling (log)

Thank you, Ling, I loved your pictures! [drool squared]

And May, there's not many carbs but there is some oatmeal, for what it's worth. Truth is get sick enough and your motivation levels soar y'know?

But umm, I made it two and half days. In fact that's usually how long I last. I have done all three days before but 2.5 is sooo much easier. hehe. But umm, it's my husband's fault!! He bought too many good groceries today including baked chips. I'm a chip-aholic after all.

My guts are much better and my complexion improved as an added bonus. It's a winwin for sure...Now pass me the pinwheel cookies...and I got some tea-rings rising...

Raising my Diet Coke glass high, Cheers

Merry Christmas Everybody!

And May, there's not many carbs but there is some oatmeal, for what it's worth. Truth is get sick enough and your motivation levels soar y'know?

Raising my Diet Coke glass high, Cheers

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Oatmeal is an abomination. How do people eat that stuff?

But yeah, I guess I know what you mean. Have a little brother who'd refuse ice cream (he had terrible asthma as a child) even though nobody would tell the parents, 'cause it'd send him straight to the doctor's.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

What's wrong with oatmeal? It's got a low glycemic index so you don't crash a half-hour after breakfast, does great stuff for your cholesterol, and you can vary it by throwing all kinds of berries, nuts, yogurt, etc. on it. I regard it as a kind of morning salad. :cool: