• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ben's closed forever.

porkpa

I was told that Ben's Delicatessen closed its doors forever over the weekend. In terms of smoked meat quality, it hasn't been competitive for about a half century. However its believed that Ben's may have been the first vendor of Montreal smoked meat. I never thought it was near as good as Snowdon Deli or Schwartz', but because of its central location and history it managed to hold on for a long time.

It had location going for it (it was convenient, like Denny's), and a whole lot of grotty, greasy, tobacco-stained charm. And lord knows, there are far worse delis/diners in Montreal than Ben's was. But you always got the sense that they just gave up trying a long time ago.

I was told that Ben's Delicatessen closed its doors forever over the weekend. In terms of smoked meat quality, it hasn't been competitive for about a half century. However its believed that Ben's may have been the first vendor of Montreal smoked meat. I never thought it was near as good as Snowdon Deli or Schwartz', but because of its central location and history it managed to hold on for a long time.

:shock:

I had many hangover breakfasts at Ben's during my university years. Sad to think it will no longer be there.

A high school friend of mine N. Richler, worked there and he had some horror stories, there was one about a vat of cole slaw..........

Quite sad - this is the first place I tried smoked meat and it reminded me a lot of Katz's in NYC. Schwartz's is def. better, but Ben's was huge and a real trip. (Not to mention a horrendous eyesore in the best possible way.) It'll be missed.

Very sad. Although I spent more time on The Main when I lived there, my father always insisted on a trip to Ben's when he'd visit. Even as recently as last spring, he swore Ben's was better than Schwartz's.

They definitely had a character that won't be reproduced...

According to the article that was in the Gazette on Saturday, they will still be selling their smoked meat through other stores.

That whole turnstyle cattle ramp atmosphere was depressing. I did like the Ben's special drink.

I remember showing up for the first time expecting something along the lines of Schwartz's. I and my 3 friends had put off eating for an hour just so that we could save ourselves for Ben's....boy were we disappointed. The lack of effort really showed.

It was an institution though, the tacky decor was actually the one saving grace in my eyes.

there was a paper ( editorial or chronique ) this week in La Presse about that, and the point was that it was as much if not more the fault of the owner for letting this institution go down the drain for such a long time, that it's only with a sign of relief that it finally close.