• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which bottle should I bring to the party?

Pan

Hi, everyone! I come to you wine experts for advice:

In the past couple of years, I've gotten three bottles of wine as gifts that I have yet to have the occasion to open. This Wednesday evening, there is a departmental party of a school I'm teaching at. These folks (especially the hosts) like good food, so I wouldn't want to bring lousy plonk. I'd like you to tell me whether each of these wines is plonk, passable, good, or perhaps a real special occasion wine. I'm not really re-gifting the wine, because I believe a lot of wine will be drunk at the party, so there's a high probability that the wine I bring would be opened and I'd be sharing it with people I respect. Anyway, enough preliminaries! Here are the wines:

La Spigola 2005 (Sicilia Indicazione Geografica Tipiaca [sic] -- white Inzolia wine)

Finca Luzon 2003 (Red Table Wine)

Vino de Eyzaguirre Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 (Wine in the Sack, D. O. Colchagua Valley)

Michael aka "Pan"

Yeah, the second and third wines have been stored in my livingroom/kitchen for a year. I don't have the luxury of a cellar, let alone a wine cellar. You're sure they'd be ruined? My apartment isn't so hot. I keep it comfortable for myself, which means that when too much heat is coming out of the radiator, I open the window.

Michael aka "Pan"

Yeah, the second and third wines have been stored in my livingroom/kitchen for a year. I don't have the luxury of a cellar, let alone a wine cellar. You're sure they'd be ruined? My apartment isn't so hot. I keep it comfortable for myself, which means that when too much heat is coming out of the radiator, I open the window.

If the temperature in your kitchen and livingroom is comfortable, and the wine has only been there a year, the are probably fine. If they have been in direct sunlight for a year, or have been stored over 80 degrees for a significant portion of the year, I'd be a little worried. In that case, I'd say better to just buy a new $10-$15 bottle for your function (and drink these yourself).

Or, just open one of the three bottles with dinner tonight. If it tastes fine, I'm sure the other two are in similar condition and are also fine to take to your function.

If the temperature in your kitchen and livingroom is comfortable, and the wine has only been there a year, the are probably fine. If they have been in direct sunlight for a year, or have been stored over 80 degrees for a significant portion of the year, I'd be a little worried. In that case, I'd say better to just buy a new $10-$15 bottle for your function (and drink these yourself).

Or, just open one of the three bottles with dinner tonight. If it tastes fine, I'm sure the other two are in similar condition and are also fine to take to your function.

Sounds like they should be OK. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I'd take the La Spigola if you want to have a conversation about the wine, and the Luzon if you didn't ;)

How's that?

Well, in the end, I brought the Chilean wine, and because so many other people brought wine, it wasn't opened and I didn't have a chance to taste it. Oh well. The other wines I had there were serviceable to good.

Michael aka "Pan"