• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

any suggestions for xmas day dinner in s. florida?

mona_in_hk

my husband and i will be on holiday in florida (our first ever visit) over the christmas and new year period and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a restaurant to have dinner at on christmas day itself.

i was hoping to find somewhere that's intimate and romantic (not necessarily a "sceney" restaurant), which, of course, does fabulous food, and also would have a nice festive atmosphere.

as it is christmas, cost is not really a major concern, and if anyone knows of a fabulous restaurant that is linked to a hotel, that would be perfect as i haven't yet booked anywhere to stay for that evening.

we will be in miami during the day and can only leave at around 5:30pm, so although i am willing to go anywhere, it should be within an hour's drive of miami.

all recommendations will be most gratefully received!

When in Rome....

Miami is essentially an hispanic city these days. And the big deal meal isn't Christmas Day - it is Christmas Eve (known as Nochebuena). A whole pig and the fixings are traditional. I'm sure you can find places all over - and especially in Little Havana - that do a decent/good/great Nochebuena. I haven't lived in Miami for about 10 years - so I don't know which place(s) I'd pick today. Google a little - and let me know what you come up with (I may have some comments if some of the places that were around then are still around now). Robyn

my husband and i will be on holiday in florida (our first ever visit) over the christmas and new year period and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a restaurant to have dinner at on christmas day itself.

I'm in Miami for the same period, and we're going to Emeril's Miami Beach, which is in the Loew's Hotel in South Beach. Emeril's is an extremely beautiful, extremely comfortable restaurant, with a winning, winning staff. By special request (from me), the chef is making Roast Goose for Christmas, and from the way he described it to me, I think it'll be sensational. There will also be a hot foie gras preparation, which there usually is most nights anyway, and which is always sensational. If you've never been to an Emeril's, it's absolutely nothing whatsoever like Emeril is on tv, and it's a very pleasurable experience, casually elegant, (somewhat more elegant than casual, yet totally casual at the same time)with the friendliest and most professional service you may ever encounter, especilly the Miami location. Their specialty is pampering. And if you stick with the daily specials, which are always extremely interesting, you'll also dine quite nicely.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's