• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My outdoor wok experiment...

Chef Bradley

So, I bought this new wok from the local asian market restaurant supply store the other day and decided tonight would be a great night to break it in. So, I fired up the old turkey fryer burner and got to cookin'

Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try this..

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1900.html

Chili Garlic Pork Lomein

PICT0135.jpg

PICT0136.jpg

A little action shot!

PICT0141.jpg

Yummmm

PICT0142.jpg

Edited by Chef Bradley (log)

I agree. Next to a charcoal grill, I consider a wok burner or turkey fryer the most essential outdoor cooking tool. The other great thing is that you can sear and deep fry with impunity and not worry about the smoke and splatter. I had a lot of fun with it last summer and I still fire it up to sear meat for braises.

(details here)

I agree. Next to a charcoal grill, I consider a wok burner or turkey fryer the most essential outdoor cooking tool. The other great thing is that you can sear and deep fry with impunity and not worry about the smoke and splatter. I had a lot of fun with it last summer and I still fire it up to sear meat for braises.

(details here)

Man, great blog post! Glad to see more than one person is taking advantage of the turkey fryer wok burner, lol. I agree with you about frying and stuff outside, you can go crazy but not smell it in the house for months (like some blacked tuna I did indoors like an idiot, took weeks for the smell to go away!).