• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campari Tomatoes

woodburner

Hard to believe, I can find the best tasting, longest lasting tomato at least to me, from a big box warehouse such as BJ's Wholesale Club. Finally someone is getting it right. I can't help but wonder how these little gems were genetically engineered, and why I don't see them in the regular food markets in my area. Anyone else enjoying these?

woodburner

Where do they come from? These are fresh tomatoes? I assume "Campari" is the grower or is it the variety? I'll have to look out for them.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Sunset's Campari tomatoes are quite good actually. I get them as Costco in bulk of course, and use them for anything. Sliced, stewed, sauted, oven roasted....I've seen them at my local supermarket, but for far more money than at Costco.

http://www.camparitomatoes.com/

Edited by monavano (log)

Hard to believe, I can find the best tasting, longest lasting tomato at least to me, from a big box warehouse such as BJ's Wholesale Club. Finally someone is getting it right. I can't help but wonder how these little gems were genetically engineered, and why I don't see them in the regular food markets in my area. Anyone else enjoying these?

woodburner

I LOVE Campari tomatoes and always have them in the house. They are not genetically engineered. The ones I get are by Eurofresh Farms, and they're grown without pesticides. (I buy these in my local supermarket, Harris Teeter).

http://www.eurofresh.com/products/products.shtml

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

This is a huge hydroponic operation near Willcox, Arizona. I've been waiting for them to start giving tours, I think it would be fascinating to see the growing process. My local Costco occasionally carries the Roma tomatoes too. They are fantastic.

Edited by lemniscate (log)

From the website, these look like the tomatoes that are sold, at least in this area, under the term, "vine tomatoes." If indeed that's what they are, I've had them, and yes, while they are decent compared with most of what's available out of season, they don't come close to the flavor of the vine-ripened Jersey tomatoes available at greenmarkets and farm stands in season.

Just my perspective.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I can get them here in South Carolina at Publix. They are definitely my 'go to' choice for out of season tomatoes.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

From the website, these look like the tomatoes that are sold, at least in this area, under the term, "vine tomatoes."   If indeed that's what they are, I've had them, and yes, while they are decent compared with most of what's available out of season, they don't come close to the flavor of the vine-ripened Jersey tomatoes available at greenmarkets and farm stands in season.

Just my perspective.

I've had the generic "vine-ripened" tomatoes, and I've had Campari tomatoes - not the same at all! The Campari are far, far superior.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I've had the generic "vine-ripened" tomatoes, and I've had Campari tomatoes - not the same at all! The Campari are far, far superior.

Not knowing where you live & what else is available to you, or what you mean by "generic tomatoes", it's impossible to evaluate that statement. Certainly the opposite is true where I live, & that may be the difference.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 2 years later...

I've become a big fan of these tomatoes, especially since it's tough for me to get to markets that carry heirlooms or other good quality tomatoes. From the Wikipedia article, it seems that they're being grown by several Canadian producers. Although sometimes I wish they were larger -- when I want slices for a sandwich, for instance -- mostly I like the smaller size.

The Camparis are very different from the picture-perfect-but-flavorless vine tomatoes that have shown up everywhere in recent years. The ones I've had are smaller than typical beefsteak-ish supermarket tomatoes, come packed in clear plastic boxes, and have great flavor. I generally prefer the "Ugly-Ripes" when I need a supermarket tomato, but the Camparis are very good, though expensive.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger