• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comerç 24

Lenski

While I'm not a big fan of Comerç24 either, I can definitely recommend Carles' other restaurant, Tapaç 24, if you're looking for an Inopia-like experience.

That is to say, simple/traditional tapas produced a-la-modern-techniques-cuisine with the corresponding price tag. Very well executed though. It's on Carrer Diputacio c/w Passeig de Gracia.

Do you really recommend this? Well, if so I can deduce my own conclusion about Inopia.

Vedat,

for what they try to achieve, that is traditional tapas food, I don't think they fail at it, although one could say the price point is a bit high.

Silly, are you referring to Tapac24, Inopia or both?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Silly, are you referring to Tapac24, Inopia or both?

T24. I've been to Inopia twice, didn't like it the first time, didn't like it the second time either, haven't been back since. At least T24 has been consistent every time I've been there.

I think Vedat is surprised I recommend it because our meal there wasn't mind-blowing. But let me say this again: given the never-ending list of places serving tapas food which ends up being either mediocre, pretentious or both, I think T24 passes the test, which is all I expect from this place. Then again, it might be a bit pricey on account of the "coolness/place-to-be-seen" factor.

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like this string is a few weeks old, but oddly enough, my wife and I found our experiences to be at a bit of odds with many posters here.

If I was to critique any of the establishments being debated in this thread it would be Arzak. (which by the tone of the posters here would seem to be heresy)

However, Can Fabes, was my personal favorite, and Commerc24 a close second. Though neither establishment is remotely comparable to each other.

Still looking for the white wine back in the states we had at Commerc24- something like Guitian Godello (sp??)..

We actually stayed two nights in the little attic suite at Can Fabes, and ate two nights in a row at Can Fabes and they made a genuine effort to provide two unique dining experiences. Perhaps the second night was even better, due to the fact that they had to be a little more inventive and Santi came up with some alterations to the menu that we had the second night, which included a fabulous Rabbit served tableside for two. There were other great dishes as well - and unfortunately, since it's been 9 months. The only downside to our second night, was that we were at the F1 qualifying and the heat from Saturday made Saturday nights dinner feel a little more like a marathon.. but it was back to back, two fantastic meals. The maitre d'/manager was an absolute star.. we saw him again on Sunday morning early ironing tablecloths as we checked out and had a nice conversation.

I hate to go into too much detail on Can Fabes (but it was so good) as this is a Commerc24 discussion, but at Commerc, we walked in without a reservation and while they were full, they were able to fit us in at the end of the bar where the bar becomes a table in front of the wine racks. This also was a fabulous meal.. Many of the pictures in the start of this thread evoked memories of our meal.. I can remember a truffled egg that was unbelievable, but just about every plate was a hit. Sea foam chips. The people in the front of the house took good care of us and from both a food and service perspective - we found it to be one of our favorite dining experiences. Much more casual, obvoiusly than Can Fabes or Arzak, but still one I'd reccommend.

And for those who wonder about Arzak - the food was good - great in some instances - both younger and elder Arzak were present - but the service was flawed (as I left with food on the back of my jacket unsuspectedly) - and we ran the gamut from crying baby to one side, and people smoking (at the end of their meal), as we moved on to entree's.. Maybe our experience was the exception rather than the rule.

Perhaps different people have different experiences - and it's hard to understand why one place on one night works so well for some, and then looks like a waste of calories for others..

Anyhow, I would not hesitate to reccommend Commerc24 or Can Fabes based on my experiences.. and Arzak the food was overall very good.

Still looking for the white wine back in the states we had at Commerc24- something like Guitian Godello (sp??)..

Guitián is a wine from Valdeorras in Galicia, the winery is called La Tapada and Godello is the name of the grape. I don't know if this will be available in the States.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Guitián is a wine from Valdeorras in Galicia, the winery is called La Tapada and Godello is the name of the grape. I don't know if this will be available in the States.

It comes in two versions; unoaked and oaked, very different in flavour, aroma and texture (Much like when you barrel age the albarinos), and can be distinguished by the latter having a black label and a heftier price tag.