• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guinea fowl.. recipes, hints, ideas?

cacao

Hi folks:

I'm considering trying my hand at cooking guinea fowl, for an intimate Christmas dinner for two, after my tasty success with a salt rubbed turkey, this Thanksgiving . But I've no idea how guinea fowl really even tastes, let alone a solid idea how I ought to cook it. I get the impression it's somewhere more gamey than chicken (this is good) yet less fatty than duck (this is also good, to me). I intend to consult my small collection of cookbooks, but I was wondering if anyone here might have some suggestions? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Cacao

I purchase my guinea fowl at John's Live Poultry in Chicago so I know they are fresh( they are processed while I wait). The breast can be cooked like a pheseant. The leg thighs should be braised in some manner as they are much tougher. Use the carcass for a stock. Whatever you do, don't purchase a frozen bird, thier probably from China. -Dick

I roasted a 1.2kg guinea fowl this weekend. I smeared the bird with herby butter and roasted for 15 mins at 220C then poured white wine into the roasting tin (not over the bird) and roasted for a further 15 mins at around 180C then rested for about 20mins whilst making gravy. Next time I'll roast at 180C for longer - probably closer to 25mins - because it was a bit pinker than I wanted around the legs. It wasn't tough at all though and had a great flavour.