• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

christmas gift for a foodie volunteer

andrewmaxr

Hi,

So my younger cousin has been volunteering in new orleans for the past nine months or so. Before heading down he was a burgeoning foodie. I'm sure he's been cooking quite a bit, and enjoying some cajun delights, but he's got approximately no money, so for christmas I'd love to treat him to a comforting and exciting meal.

Here's where i could use some help. I've never been to New Orleans and don't have any good ideas for a destination.

Any ideas of a definitively new orleans restaurant where i could buy a gift certificate over the phone or web? or if need be, maybe call in a credit card at the end of his meal?

thanks all.

-Andrew

What a generous thing to do....on his part and yours, too! FYI, AmEx offers gift cards...you can purchase them in amounts ranging from $25 to $500. http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/p...41,16130,00.asp

I'm suggesting this b/c he might enjoy several meals at neighborhood joints rather than one big meal at a swanky place (or he might want to treat a friend and share his gift, if he's the generous sort).

What a generous thing to do....on his part and yours, too!  FYI, AmEx offers gift cards...you can purchase them in amounts ranging from $25 to $500.  http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/p...41,16130,00.asp

I'm suggesting this b/c he might enjoy several meals at neighborhood joints rather than one big meal at a swanky place (or he might want to treat a friend and share his gift, if he's the generous sort).

That's an interesting idea. I have a bit of an aversion giving a gift so universally applicable, like cash. It always strikes me as a bit impersonal. Though i do take your point about the joy of several neighborhood meals over a swank bout of gluttony. Are there any neighborhood spots in particular that you would might recommend -- maybe places that have particular specialties? It could have a personal touch by setting up a "culinary itinerary" of 3 or so restaurants in a week.

Well, VISA does gift cards, too! And I'm more surprised these days about who takes plastic rather than who's still cash-only. If the VISA/AM-Ex idea is too impersonal, wrap it with a dining guide to NOLA and a nice note listing a few suggested restaurants....as for restaurant suggestions, I'd send a young volunteer to:

--Cafe Reconcile for down-home food and a good cause (it's a nonprofit venture training at-risk youth for hospitality jobs); okay, Todd's right--they're cash or check only right now.

--Casamento's (damn, Todd's right again...cash only) on Magazine near Napoleon. Classic oysterbar w/great fried oysters, softshells, etc.

--Bon Ton; hah! BT does indeed accept plastic. Lunch only in the CBD.

--Liuzza's on Bienville for a frenchuletta (does accept credit cards)

--Parkway Bakery & Tavern (Hagan St.)....yes, another cash-only joint. Poboys, cold Abita & Barq's.

All of this is beginning to seem complicated: you could probably get a gift certif to K-Paul's and simplify the whole thing, I guess!