• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts catering

filipe

I need your help/advice about this subject.

Do you think (in a general way, not in any particular geographical situation) that a Dessert ONLY catering service has market? What kind of costumers might there be for a service like that since no savory food will be catered?

(It does not include traditional birthday or wedding cakes, although some non-traditional proposals for the same purposes can be held)

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

I'm not a professional by any means just an avid home baker but I do dessert only catering on the side. I hadn't really thought of it like that but it is. So yes, there is a market. I don't do wedding or birthday cakes as I'm not really keen on the fussy decorating and I don't think my wrists could handle it for long. I have done a few cakes for bridal showers but they are very simple, each piece topped with a rosette of buttercream and either candied violets or rose petals.

So, who are my customers...

- Schools that do evening performances and require plated desserts.

- Ladies Teas for church groups, usually a variety of petit fours or miniatures, whatever you'd like to call them.

- Evening fundraising events that need to look classy for a reasonable price. Dessert, even a nice one, is still more economical than providing dinner.

- Brides who want cupcakes rather than a fancy cake.

- I have provided desserts for events that have the savoury side provided by another caterer. I'm guessing that many caterers are more focused on the savoury side and the dessert side might not get as much attention.

- Higher end coffee shops although for me this also included quick breads like scones and muffins so not strictly desserts.

- Another thing I have done is packages of cookies that businesses have delivered to their clients at Christmas. Again, not typical "dessert" but if they give you some freedom you can be quite creative and have some fun with it.

That's all I can think of at the moment but it may give you some ideas.

Oh, and in regards to price, my husband has always told me to charge as much as I think I need to regardless of the customer or event. If they don't like the price they can always say no, but if I'm not making enough to make it worthwhile then what's the point unless I'm specifically deciding to do an event for cost as my own donation. My point is not to shy away from customers that you think may want something cheap. You might be mistaken.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I am interested in opening this type of business. I used to provide cakes and cheesecakes for a couple of small coffee shops/cafe's. I did this out of my home and usually only did between 10 and 20 items per week. After Katrina wiped out my clients I decided to work on a business plan and work on eventually opening this sort of business (legally, lol). I have two young children and my family is my priority. My husband is the main breadwinner (ok, only for the past few years.) My youngest will start school next fall and I'd like to have this business established by then. So I want a small business that I can do by myself and don't want to put in the time or investment for a storefront, hiring employees, etc. So, I really just need a commercial kitchen space. I do know that there is a market for this in this area. I would also offer dessert catering. I think it's definitely do-able. If anyone else has any additional thoughts I'd be interested in hearing them too.

What I wondered is if there is a cultural difference in Portugal versus the US. I've seen such businesses here, but our sweet-toothed glutonous society likes to go the extremes. I'm curious if there is a difference in how our two societies treat sweets.

Hey Filipe,

It's interesting you thought of this. I am sure a dessert Tapas oriented company could do well, Specializing in high end -Vienoise tables and such. It would be a niche market though. People that gather around at festive occasions tend to drink and be merry. In my experience, dessert (passed and buffet) is an eclectic either or proposition, people usually gravitate one way or the other.

I did come up with a concept a year ago called "Baby Showers R Us" tied into a high tea/hor'deurves theme, hinged on the promotion of specialty high end rolled fondant cakes. Ours, (for my son) was so popular, all the ladies in the group were asking "where can I get this"?

It may still happen, but for the moment, the Consortium takes all my time.

Hope this helps,

Michael :smile: