• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Bars In NYC

johnjohn

I've been to Chikalicious and Room 4 Dessert - Where am I missing. I've heard of 2 or 3 other places - I think they are Asian influenced. They have either just opened or are about to open. Can anybody help with names or other places that are worth visiting just for dessert in NYC. Thanks.

Here's the information on Kyotofu: http://www.kyotofu-nyc.com/ -- It's on Ninth Avenue between 48th and 49th.

I guess the answer to this question depends on how you'd define a "dessert bar." I mean, there's a big difference if you define the category as only including sushi-bar-esque dessert places like Chikalicious and Room4Dessert, and if you define it to include all "places that are worth visiting just for dessert in NYC." The latter category would include a broad selection of places, new and old. Like, how do we categorize Rice to Riches, or Veniero's, or the Tavern at Gramercy Tavern, or Serendipity, or Dylan's, or Lexington Candy Shop? Those are all places that are worth visiting just for dessert, but I'm not sure one would call them dessert bars.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Here's the information on Kyotofu: http://www.kyotofu-nyc.com/ -- It's on Ninth Avenue between 48th and 49th.

I guess the answer to this question depends on how you'd define a "dessert bar." I mean, there's a big difference if you define the category as only including sushi-bar-esque dessert places like Chikalicious and Room4Dessert, and if you define it to include all "places that are worth visiting just for dessert in NYC." The latter category would include a broad selection of places, new and old. Like, how do we categorize Rice to Riches, or Veniero's, or the Tavern at Gramercy Tavern, or Serendipity, or Dylan's, or Lexington Candy Shop? Those are all places that are worth visiting just for dessert, but I'm not sure one would call them dessert bars.

Thanks - I am interested in sushi-bar-esque dessert places like Chikalicious and Room4Dessert. My girlfriend seems to really like those type of places, and I would like to take her all the different ones in NYC.

I might be the first regular poster to have gone to kyotofu, but it made perfect sense after I went overboard at Shimizu (just a few steps away) with mi madre. Especially because sushi bars especially are not places to "linger" at. Kyotofu was absolutely great, it would be very difficult to find anything near the finely-crafted dessert tofus they have, absolutely delicious. And they have a pretty good selection of sake and shochu. Really great room, not sure why they needed so many hipsters waiters there.

I know i just said I went with my mom, but if anyone has a really hot date they'd like to impress with a "Tokyo night out", hit Shimizu, Totto, Sugiyama, or I guess Gari, and then top it off at Kyotofu. Then of course Japas or Muse for a karaoke box for 2.

You had to go there

Raji, I think it's his way of saying he wants a date. I can give you his description if you like. You know, incase you want to get a restraining order. :laugh:

Hey, you think Shimizu is the best sushi in HK?

That wasn't chicken

She's way way way out of his league...

Ya know, Shimizu-san told me he's only been there 2 years, and he was formerly Sushi-Zen.

Apparently word got around that I was moving into the neighborhood, because in the last 2 years or so, from Sugiyama and a bunch of Sushi Chinois, we've got Yakitori Totto, Shimizu, just now a Gari, and this is not even getting into the TW Center and thereabouts... a new Sushi Bar, looks authentic, just opened in Worldwide Plaza - someone's gotta take one for the team and check it out, just opened -

But besides Masa yes I'd say Shimizu's got the best show running in HK...