• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Marrow Bones

Obese-Wan Kenobi

Ever since I tried Fegus Henderson's recipe (the link above), I've never prepared marrow bones any other way. It's so easy, and so good.

Here are some photos from my blog earlier this year:

gallery_7258_2197_17800.jpg

gallery_7258_2197_4945.jpg

In terms of Bone Marrow I was thinking of making a Bone Marrow soup and using a riff from Fergus by drizzling a parsley oil around soup..

Bone marrow ravioli could be good too.

And of course bone marrow goes great in risotto.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I've always enjoyed marrow butter on steak... I've seen it made into a flan as well...it's very thick and creamy like.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I've never bought the bones specifically for marrow, but when I've received them as part of my roast, they've always had bone chips in the marrow. Do I just need a better supplier or is this par for the course? Any cool tricks to clean it up?

• 6 months later...

I love marrow. In some bistros, you can get it as a first course with toast and fleur de sel. I also can get it at my butcher's. But how do I cook it at home? Broil it? For how long? What temperature? I've heard of it being poached, but I think that's for stew-type dishes, where the marrow leaves the bone and becomes part of the sauce. I want the marrow to stay in the bone, to be scooped out and put on toast!

(As a side note, exactly how much fat does marrow have in it? Is it basically all fat?)

Edited by sharonb (log)

Chop into 8cm (3 inch) pieces and put in a heavy pan and roast in a hot oven for around 20 mins until the bone marrow starts to give and get loose but watch it as to long and it will melt away.

Not sure of the fat content but it's high but mostly monounsaturates so good for you in moderation

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I agree. Roasted marrow is a delight.

Fergus Henderson's recipe for Roasted Bone Marrow with a parslet salad is divine. I won't type the recipe (I'm sure there are copywrights), but basically you very rough chop some nice fresh parsley, a few capers, and mix it with some lemon juice and olive oil. Serve this with the marrow, and some nice toasty baguette slices and fleur on the side.

Try The French Laundry way which basically amounts to pushing the marrow out of a well chilled/frozen bone, dusting it with flour and frying it in oil. Compared to the zillion steps usually involved in a FL recipe, this one was quick, easy and the results absolutely sublime.