• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My first recipe submission

Chef Bradley

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1897.h...b867d4a6a8aa8e9

Hey all. Thought I'd share my first recipe sumbission here on egullet. This is a soup recipe I put together here at work and it went over extremely well. It's been tested a million times, lol, so enjoy :)

You may have to break it down to smaller portions if you're going to try this at home because it makes a gallon!

Enjoy :cool:

You may have to break it down to smaller portions if you're going to try this at home because it makes a gallon!

Enjoy  :cool:

One can never have too much good potatoe soup, assuming it can be frozen? :smile:

How much experimentation did it take to come up with the combination and quantityof potatoe varieties you use?

SB :wink:

Enjoy  :cool:

One can never have too much good potatoe soup, assuming it can be frozen? :smile:

How much experimentation did it take to come up with the combination and quantityof potatoe varieties you use?

SB :wink:

Wel, I had to twek it a couple times but, basically I just followed the basics in making a cream soup.

Why do you use flour? I usually find potato soup thickened with just potatos to be adequately thick. Does the flour give it a better texture in your opinion? I imagine the potato flavour would be somewhat diluted by the flour.

edit: Why do you discard the bayleaf so early? The usual method is to keep it simmering in the soup and discard right before pureeing.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

Since I never use bacon in my recipes for religious reasons, how might this affect the final outcome? I'd love to try this recipe!

If you can mix milk and meat, you could use beef bacon. Otherwise you could use a smoked cheese or Spice Islands smoked salt or even a drop of Wright's liquid smoke to get a similar taste without any meat.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Since I never use bacon in my recipes for religious reasons, how might this affect the final outcome? I'd love to try this recipe!

If you can mix milk and meat, you could use beef bacon. Otherwise you could use a smoked cheese or Spice Islands smoked salt or even a drop of Wright's liquid smoke to get a similar taste without any meat.

She keeps kosher and cannot mix dairy and meat.

Michael aka "Pan"

I've done this recipe in vegetarian form as well and it comes out great. Just replace the rendered fat with any type of nuetral cooking oil (safflower, canola, grapeseed, etc.) and nix the bacon. For smokeyness, I just used liquid smoke (the real stuff, not that imitation crap, lol).

@ Shalmanese:

I use flour because I found that I didn't get the texture I was looking for without it. I removed the bayleaf early because I just wanted a hint of bay, not too much. Try the recipe, you'll find its great, even though you may have a lot of nit picking questions, lol.