• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prime Rib Roast

Jmahl

Did a 6 lb choice roast, dry aged for 5 days in the fridge, let sit for 5 hours (cold house) pre-cooking. Presalted on day 3.

Seared in a cast iron pan w/ beef fat (gorgeous) and plopped on a rack in a 200' oven for 3 hours. Thought that would be enough, but still read 115' (maybe) so I cranked the heat up to 350' and hit it for 1/2 hour. Temp~ 120'. Rested for 45 minutes.

My DD likes medium (end pieces were perfect), hubby and I are rare`med rare.........perfect also. :)

Had prime rib hash and poached eggs with trimmings this AM and just chewed on a rib.

Bliss. :wub:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

The 18 pound roast turned out very nicely--200 F convection for 4 hours, 40 minutes until it hit 120 degrees, then took it out of the oven and cranked it to 500 F. It went back in for 10 minutes, then it rested for an hour until it hit 130. I took the center piece, which was still a little too cooked for my taste, but it was incredibly juicy and tender all the way through. No over-cooked ring of gray-ish meat around the outer portion of the roast.

There was almost no juice in the pan, and we lost very little juice when we started carving. Very good, though I'll probably take it out at 110 degrees next time. Everyone loved this method, though. :smile:

Our first Christmas dinner was yesterday. A 13 lb rib roast, brushed with olive oil, seasoned with kosher salt and ground pepper, roasted at 300 degrees convection oven, no pre or post searing. Pulled at 120.

gallery_6080_205_28378.jpg

gallery_6080_205_40192.jpg

Slice. No grey.

gallery_6080_205_70793.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Need say no more. That is a beautiful prime rib, Marlene! I cooked my prime rib on Christmas and it turned out great. I followed Marlene's and HKDave's advice as I ran into a problem with my temperature probe. I have a Dacor oven and had never used the temp. probe before. Oops! (one should not wait to try something for the first time on a big day.) The probe plugged into the outlet in the oven just fine. Then I pushed the "Probe" button on the outside of the oven and the display flashed "PRB" which meant the probe was not inserted properly. Time was of the essence and I could not play around anymore than the 10 mins. I already wasted, so I abandoned the probe and heated the oven to 450 degrees convection and then put the meat into the oven and cooked it for 10 mins. and then turned the oven to convection 300 degrees. It took about 2 1/2 hours for the 7 lb. prime rib to be medium rare and it was absolutely fabulous. Thank you for everyone's ideas and opinions. It really helped. Anyone else have problems with a temp. probe. I have no idea what could have been wrong. The probe was in the center of the meat and the plug at the other end of the probe was inserted into the outlet on the side of the oven. It is very hot (duh!) and it was hard to raise the lid of the outlet and continue trying to insert the plug, but it did seem to click as it pressed in all the way.

My husband put ours on the smoker

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11494414...2884_426402.jpg

and kept the temp at 200 degrees for 3.5 hours. It rested for a little over an hour tented under foil. It was perfectly pink/red all the way thru, with no gray ring. You'll have to take my word for this, as I didn't remember to take any pics until it was devoured.

Stop Family Violence

If I can be so bold as to say that that is mighty fine meat you have there, Marlene

Coming from you Jack, that's high praise indeed. :smile: Thank you kindly, sir!

Marlene

Anyone else have problems with a temp. probe.  I have no idea what could have been wrong.  The probe was in the center of the meat and the plug at the other end of the probe was inserted into the outlet on the side of the oven. 

Toni, I have two Dacor ovens, but I can't say as I've ever used their probes. I'm not sure what could have been wrong, unless somehow you got the probe into a layer of fat.

I've never actually been a fan of the oven probes, however, a good thermometer is essential in cooking a roast, I think. I use one of these, from WS.

gallery_6080_205_41942.jpg

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Junior was wonderful!

Pulled him at 120, but the rascal rested to 135 :blink:

I am thinking it was the size of the roast and the heat stored in the bones.

Too done for me, but the kids and significant others like thier meat medium to medium well. so the audience was well satisfied.

Had an open faced sandwich the next day, kids took meat home, and I have two more meals for hubby and I in the fridge.

Now, on to the 11 pound heritage pork fresh ham I have presalted in the fridge to smoke and eat tomorrow for luck!

Life really is good. If nothing else, we eat well.

:biggrin:

How long did junior rest for?  And no pictures?

An hour. His temp peaked within 20 minutes though, and sorry no pictures. I hate that he ended up a bit overdone, but the lovely thing was the meat was so good that it could take the imprecise cooking. I'm sold on this Certified Angus Beef thing. Its a bit more expensive, but a good reliable compromise $ vs. taste when I want beef. So tasty, and amazing marbling.

Everyone was busy with their new toys, and we really didn't get enough regular pictures of family and fun. I guess that is what makes memories, though.

I cut out two ribeye steaks, so when I thaw and grill them maybe I can get a shot in before they are devoured (isn't it sad that all I am left with is two ribeye steaks and the chine and ribs for soup out of a 17 pound hunka hunka meat?)

:shock:

By the way, if tasty pork brings you luck, I should have a great 2007! THAT was perfect, but I am up with a bit of heartburn now...

Edited by annecros (log)

Anyone else have problems with a temp. probe.  I have no idea what could have been wrong.  The probe was in the center of the meat and the plug at the other end of the probe was inserted into the outlet on the side of the oven.  It is very hot (duh!) and it was hard to raise the lid of the outlet and continue trying to insert the plug, but it did seem to click as it pressed in all the way.

That has happened to me a lot with my Kitchen Aid convection oven. At the moment that the roast goes in the oven, the probe plug won't insert and click all the way into the receptacle in the oven, and the damned little hinged lid gets in the way, and is burning hot. I've used thermal gloves and screwdrivers, and then I found the soultion...

I insert the oven end of the probe (the plug) before I even start. I leave the "meat" end of the probe just dangling outside the oven until I'm ready to put the meat in. It's just not a problem, because the dangling probe is simply reading the temperature of the air in the kitchen until I insert it into the meat, so nothing happens to throw off the cooking. It took me a few frustrating attempts with the probe before I realized I could do this.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Here's where I think pre searing actually might make a difference. If you've got a roast with little or no fat cap, searing is going to help. I noticed a big difference when I cooked my second prime rib of the season last week. That roast, had almost no fat cap, and while it was still good, I did get some of the "grey" around the edges that I never get when I've got a full fat cap on the roast. Something to think about maybe?

Marlene

This rule also applies to smaller roasts, because they spend less time in the oven getting crispy on the ends and outside. If you're making a full 7-bone roast, there's really no need to sear - it'll stay in the oven long enough to get crusty. As I mentioned somewhere earlier, I started searing smaller roasts (even "steaks" cooked as a roast) because I found that in the time they took to cook to rare or medium rare, they didn't crust.

And if you do have a very lean roast, by all means ask the butcher for some extra fat, and lay it over the top of the roast to drip and crisp while it cooks!

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I use the same basic technique for prime rib (made one for Christmas) that I do for a regular roast beef (for which I usually use bottom round roast). Note that I generally make a 3-4lb roast.

First, tenderize with a Jacquard tenderizer (optional, but nice). Next, rub the roast with minced roasted garlic, and place in a pan, fat cap up.

Next, sprinkle the top and sides with a good coarse sea salt (I usually use a red Hawaiian salt).

Then cover the bottom of the pan to about 1/4" with red wine (if I've done an herb marinade for the roast, I use that).

Finally, the temperature probe goes in through the side.

While all this has been going on, the oven has been on broil, coming up to temperature.

The roast goes into the oven until the top is sizzling and getting nicely crisped, then the oven is shut completely off. I pull the roast when the internal temperature is at 105 degrees, or if I am cooking where I don't have a probe, after 60 minutes for a 3-4lb roast.

No muss, no fuss, not a lot of work, and the wine mixes in to give plenty of jus.

I thank you, Markk for your suggestion. I even thought about inserting the probe into the oven receptacle first but was scared of that. I will try it now after your comments.

Dave, I have a question. It sounds like you are not searing the roast as you simply say to place in a pan. When you say that the temperature probe goes in through the side, I think of the part that has a tougher skin on it. I put the probe on what I think is the end part that is pure meat. (cut part) Is that where it should go? I like your idea of the wine.

Marlene, today at Wm. Sonoma I found the remote thermometer you spoke of. It was half off, so it is worth trying. I had a different one from a cooking supply store for a few years and was always paranoid and anxious when it didn't seem to register correctly. But I decided to give this one a try after you mentioned it. I like recommendations and thank you very much.

toni, I've had mine for 4 years and it's never failed me yet. Good luck with it!

Marlene

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions -- I thought you would like to see a photo of a window display taken the day before yesterday in Paris.

gallery_38003_2183_71145.jpg

Ah, the French - you have to love them.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions -- I thought you would like to see a photo of a window display taken the day before yesterday in Paris.

Jmahl

Yeah, so much for food safety, raw chickens touching raw beef. In this country, we sell food in plastic for a reason.

:wink:

Jmahl

Yeah, so much for food safety, raw chickens touching raw beef. In this country, we sell food in plastic for a reason.

:wink:

In hope that you are not serious, these birds are air cooled, not dunked in cold, contaminated water to chill, so no cross contamination. Anyway, it is my understanding that the interior of meat is sterile and the outside gets plenty of heat. So no problem.

Any thoughts?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

In hope that you are not serious, these birds are air cooled, not dunked in cold,  contaminated water to chill, so no cross contamination.  Anyway, it is my understanding that the interior of meat is sterile and the outside gets plenty of heat.  So no problem.

Any thoughts?

Jmahl

My thoughts are the same as yours. given the choice I'd shop there instead of most of my local stores (factory meat, cryovac city) any day.

Notes from the underbelly

In hope that you are not serious,

No, I certainly wasn't serious. I was joking.

In hope that you are not serious,

No, I certainly wasn't serious. I was joking.

Understood, sorry for the miss-read.

Turn up the heat.

Jmahl

• 1 month later...