• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home-cooked burgers

Carrot Top

Well, I guess I'd say, in general, yes, because I know what's going into and on the burger - more control over the quality of the ingrediants. But, I'm sure you could load one up with enough cheese and mayo and other goodies that it would be even less healthy than a fastfood one.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

I recently grilled some deer burgers. You are probably thinking that due to the lean quality of venison, these must have been healthier than a Big Mac.

Well, they would have been except for the fact I stuffed them with butter and cheese to keep them moist. they were drippingly moist, but probably wouln't count as healthy.

Overall, i think anything you make at home has the potential to be much healtheir than fast food,, because you contol the quality and quantity of ingredients.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

My wife and I often make burgers because our children like them. I *believe* (but am not sure) they are much healthier than commercial ones. Besides, the Japanese-style sauce (meat juice plus 1:1:1 mixture of soy sauce, mirin, and sake) contains much less fat.

gallery_16375_5_16935.jpg

(Photo posted previously in the Japan Forum)

I think right off the bat they are of higher quality, the industry is not known for using high quality beef, more like industrial grade. So just buying fresh ground beef from your local grocer is more likely to be a better raw product.

I recently grilled some deer burgers. You are probably thinking that due to the lean quality of venison, these must have been healthier than a Big Mac.

Well, they would have been except for the fact I stuffed them with butter and cheese to keep them moist. they were drippingly moist, but probably wouln't count as healthy.

Overall, i think anything you make at home has the potential to be much healtheir than fast food,, because you contol the quality and quantity of ingredients.

yep I do the same thing - regarding stuffing your burgers with butter. Except I do this with good ol' ground beef, preferably ground chuck. It doesn't need the butter but it definitely tastes better with it. Also if I am in the mood I will also stuff it with some blue cheese

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I don't know about health issues but I seem to have problems with having soggy buns from the homemade burgers. The patty is just so dang juicy that I need a second bun to soak up the juices. However, I have yet to have problems with fast food burgers and soggy buns. :laugh:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought beef is graded based on the amount of marbling/fat it has. Therefore, wouldn't higher grade beef have more marbelling/fat than the 'industrial grade' meat that the fast food chains use? If we used the fat content as a gauge of healthiness, where less is better, than I would think fast food would get an edge for being healthy because homemade burgers seem to use better quality beef, which I interpret that as fattier beef. Am I wrong?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought beef is graded based on the amount of marbling/fat it has.  Therefore, wouldn't higher grade beef have more marbelling/fat than the 'industrial grade' meat that the fast food chains use?  If we used the fat content as a gauge of healthiness, where less is better, than I would think fast food would get an edge for being healthy because homemade burgers seem to use better quality beef, which I interpret that as fattier beef. Am I wrong?

Yes beef is graded for its marbling/fat, but also for its age. Industrial grade beef is usualy from older cows. I have no idea how this has an impact on the "healthiness" of the product.

However, the marbling is something that is important for the more noble grades of beef, where you want the solid muscle to be infused with fat that will melt in meat. With ground beef the amount of fat that you get in the finished product can be controled by how you trim your meat peaces of simply by adding a little of white fat to the meat mixture. So beef grade is ireleveant, what is is how much fat you add to the pro-grind to get extra-lean, lean, half lean or ordinairy. My guess is fast food use meat with a LOT of fat in it, while when you make homemade burgers you can use the ground beef grade that you want.

you can make a burger at home that is just as unhealthy as a fast food burger. and how are you defining "healthier? less fat? less salt? less other stuff? more vitamins? i'd think we mean "healthful", however, i don't look to burgers for a healthful meal. i guess i don't understand this thread.

IIRC, the meat for chain burger places is not even on the charts, but a different classification that allows for a certain amount of connective tissue(gristle). this also includes the meat scraped from the bones. There was one chain that did a great job though, Fudruckers, they ground their beef (open kitchen-butchershop style). I remember the one I went to offered different fat % burgers. And speaking of, Zuni Cafe cookbook recommends salting the meat before grinding. Ive tried it and still season after.

I would definitely say that they are healthier when made at home, especially if you are taking the time to grind your own meat. Then you will know exactly what is in them. Also Ground Buffalo is a really good meat for you because it is so low in fat. That is another alternative to beef. For something fun try putting frozen blueberries along with your other seasonings in with the meat. It ads a sweet, fresh flavor. A little something different.

Have fun!!

I think some people are confusing healthy and tasty.

I am not toally sure if lower grades of meat are somehow less "healthy" (however it is one actually measures "healthy") than a higer grade of meat I may use in my own kitchen. Let's say that for argument's sake, it can be. How does it compare to me maybe using beef with more fat than a fast food chain burger places uses? Maybe going for 80% at home. I don't think big fast food chains use stuff with that much fat. Does that extra fat offset any other gains I might pick up with that meat?

I dunno. It's ground beef. On a bun. Even if I make my bun, it's still going to be made using white flour. It won't be much healthier than a commerically baked bun.

Ehh... I say it's all a wash. A burger, made with beef at a given weight is probably pretty close no matter if it comes from a big fast food chain or is made from the typical beef available in a typical mega-mart. All the other add ons are pretty close, too, especially if you resort to using Heinz ketchup, Kraft american cheese, etc. when making them at home.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"