• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfecting Basic Beef Stew

Forest

This is very timely - hunky beef short ribs were just on sale at the Korean supermart, so I bought 4 lbs and am craving a good stew (why not, the weather is lovely here in Houston post-Ike).  I was also checking out the Daube thread and the SW France daube recipe, but it looked a little daunting.  Then I found the Red Wine Glazed Short Ribs with Porcini and Rosemary in All About Braising, and it seemed like SW France Daube-lite.  I need to check out the braising thread to see what others thought of it, but it might be an idea for you as well.

Great. Short ribs make good braising material. I've enjoyed John Besh's Short Ribs. Maybe you'll enjoy them as well.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Inspired by this thread, I took some short ribs out of the freezer this AM and have had them braising with red wine with porcinis. I also had some chuck in there so threw it in (chunks, large) . I browned them in the oven (inspired !! Thx!) and they have been cooking at 300' for hours. Just tasted them....both yummy and tender but the short ribs MELT...........chuck is just good.

Shel_B:  I had lots of nice eGullet suggestions regarding beef stew on this thread awhile back.

Thanks so much. Lots of good information there.

With all the great suggestions and recipes I found here and in some other venues, the final result will be killer, I'm sure. In a way I'm glad I didn't just grab one of the recipes I had and go at it. What I'll end up with will be far superior.

... Shel

Today is cold and grey, and it's raining. It might be a good day to make some beef stew. Does anyone have a good recipe that they'd care to share?

Recipes are helpful, but good beef stew is very forgiving regarding times, temps and ingredients. I like the use-what-you-got stews this time of year. Try an inexpensive beef blade roast (or a pork shoulder) slice it into 1" slabs and sear on the gas grill for a few minutes. Cube the meat before going into the slow cooker along with all the other good stuff. I usually prefer this way to meat browning on the stove, and it requires no extra oil.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I do a beef stew in the crock pot now with a few twists including a nod to Keller.

I use boneless short ribs when I can get them. Flour and brown meat. They go into the crock pot and I deglaze the pan with wine enough to just cover meat. Crank up the crock pot, add carrots, potatoes, onion and celery. Cut the vege somewhat small as this will thicken the stew.

When the beef starts to be fork tender, pull it out and strain the resulting broth. Put meat and broth back in pot, cut fresh vege of your choice to bite size and add with seasonings of your choice. Eat when everything is cooked to your liking.

Perfect for football day and such.

I do a beef stew in the crock pot now with a few twists including a nod to Keller.

I use boneless short ribs when I can get them.  Flour and brown meat.  They go into the crock pot and I deglaze the pan with wine enough to just cover meat.  Crank up the crock pot, add carrots, potatoes, onion and celery.  Cut the vege somewhat small as this will thicken the stew.

When the beef starts to be fork tender, pull it out and strain the resulting broth.  Put meat and broth back in pot, cut fresh vege of your choice to bite size and add with seasonings of your choice.  Eat when everything is cooked to your liking.

Perfect for football day and such.

I have to say that learning to discard the vegetables that have cooked with the stew and adding fresh vegetables helped make me a great fan of stews of all kinds. Now I will generally blanch and saute any vegetables and add them to the stew just long enough to make sure everything is hot. They look, smell and taste fresh and vibrant.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is very timely - hunky beef short ribs were just on sale at the Korean supermart, so I bought 4 lbs and am craving a good stew (why not, the weather is lovely here in Houston post-Ike).  I was also checking out the Daube thread and the SW France daube recipe, but it looked a little daunting.  Then I found the Red Wine Glazed Short Ribs with Porcini and Rosemary in All About Braising, and it seemed like SW France Daube-lite.  I need to check out the braising thread to see what others thought of it, but it might be an idea for you as well.

I like that recipe in All About Braising but I love the Short Ribs with Rosemary and Maple Syrup that comes just after that one in the same book. Made it last night - it's always really good! And probably the most simple out of any beef braise that I cook.

Edited by Della (log)

The Porcini Rosemary Short Ribs are in the oven now. I can hardly keep myself from tearing it out of the oven, the smell permeating my condo is so good. Can't wait to try some of the other short rib recipes in this one, like the Maple Syrup one! And Marlene's short ribs from the braising thread.

I need to braise and stew more.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope