• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fun foodie quiz

beccaboo

Having read the printed version of this I was a bit disappointed that the range of scores only goes up to 30 - this isn't obvious from the web version.

The full set of scores/descriptions in the printed version is:

If you scored...

20-30 points: You are a gastro-warrior, a culinary thrill-seeker with a palate that knows no barriers, no shame - and no frozen potato waffles and mass produced condiments.

10-20 points: You have your forward-looking foodie moments, but at times you're as radical and revolutionary as the salad bar at Garfunkel's.

0-10 points: You're Ainsley bleedin' Harriot, love.

I thought at the time that there should have been an extra category:

30+ points: You are a member of eGullet!

The discrepancy in the score scales can be explained simply: The point range per answer for each question in the print quiz was 0 to 2, and in the online quiz, 1 to 3. Thus, the lowest score for the print quiz was 0, and for the online quiz (assuming every question was answered) 10.

The one question where I scored 2 points was the one about modeling (I chose "be very, very pretty"). Otherwise, I got them all right (score: 44).

Obviously, this was a humorous quiz, but many of the correct answers were dead serious.

Edited to add: Besides "minging" and the correct answer to the model question, what I didn't know was that The Observer and The Guardian were now commonly owned. (The latter is Britain's leading left-leaning daily newspaper, nee The Manchester Guardian. I thought The Observer was more centrist, or maybe I'm confusing it with The Independent.) "Take-up," BTW, means "purchase." At least I'm inferring that from the context.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Rather than get pissed at me, jayrayner, how about you work on compiling a set of "joke" questions that are actually funny. I'd settle for quirky, anything.

but.. but.. you were the one who called the questions an 'absolute joke'. I thought you meant it.

BTW - any one who scored 40 or more, spent way too much time on this quiz.

Jay

BTW - any one who scored 40 or more, spent way too much time on this quiz.

Funny you should say that. It is almost the exact words used by Count Zoronsky when he telephoned me whilst I was nearing the finish line of this quiz, calculating my score. "Dahling," he said, "really you should have been here truffle-hunting with me and my pig rather than spending time on that quiz".

"No, no!" I insisted. "This is much much more important".

12) To model on the catwalks of the Milan fashion week these days, you must:

eat enough to have a Body Mass Index of 18.5 or above

be really, really pretty.

be a direct descendent of .... Donatella Versace, Dolce and Gabbana or Karl Lagerfeld'.

It is corrected in our print edition though not yet on-line. Which is odd. Will investigate.

Errr...

Didn't get that one and went with choice 3, after intuiting the missing part of the sentence.

I guess it's a joke about Italian Fashion models being fat?

Also didn't buttonhole the waiter about the lamb.

Ended up with 42. Amusing, on the whole.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

(In reference to the questions about the model and bodyfat/ and yes, actually this time I'm not kidding :wink: )

Last August, an Uruguayan model died of heart failure moments after stepping off the catwalk. She had been fasting for weeks before the show. A month later, officials in Madrid announced that models with a body mass index lower than 18 would be banned from the catwalks.

The facts of the situation teeter on the very edge of absurdity, as does much in the fashion world.

Both in the fashion world of clothes *or* in the fashion world of food.

Wring your hands, stare at it, think about it, don't think about it or merely not be interested in thinking about it, participate in it unthinkingly, participate in it with pride, or poke at it with dark humor.

All these are ways of approach to thoughts of fashions, and all are fair play.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

The discrepancy in the score scales can be explained simply:  The point range per answer for each question in the print quiz was 0 to 2, and in the online quiz, 1 to 3.  Thus, the lowest score for the print quiz was 0, and for the online quiz (assuming every question was answered) 10.

I take it that you haven't seen the printed paper then? The scoring for the printed quiz was 1 to 3 per question. So you may be correct about the intention, but I suspect that Jay really didn't expect anyone to take it that seriously...

The discrepancy in the score scales can be explained simply:  The point range per answer for each question in the print quiz was 0 to 2, and in the online quiz, 1 to 3.  Thus, the lowest score for the print quiz was 0, and for the online quiz (assuming every question was answered) 10.

I take it that you haven't seen the printed paper then? The scoring for the printed quiz was 1 to 3 per question. So you may be correct about the intention, but I suspect that Jay really didn't expect anyone to take it that seriously...

Indeed I hadn't -- there's not a newsstand near me that carries The Observer.

And your suspicion is proabaly also correct, but then, that begs the question: How could one possibly score 0 on a quiz where no answer is worth less than one point? The only way I can see is by not taking the quiz at all.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3