• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fun foodie quiz

beccaboo

I scored 44 (Oddly enough, I lost a point for not "grabing the waiter by his neck,shoving him in a tiny crate, which you load into the hold of a plane bound for Auckland, while shouting:'How would you like it, you animal abusing spawn of the devil?" :biggrin: ).

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I scored 41 but almost gave up half way through, as the questions are an absolute joke.

Jesus! Really! I didn't know. I thought it was serious...

It may lose something in the translation?

SB :wink:

Now I look at it again its obvious to me that question two really was too ambiguous. Next time I write one of these I'll try to make it more obvious. God knows how.

Jay

I'm a gastro-warrior!

You scored 43

You, friend, are a gastro-warrior, a culinary thrill -seeker with a palate that knows no barriers, no shame – and no frozen potato waffles and mass produced condiments.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

"You scored 24

You have your forward-looking foodie moments, but at times you’re as radical and revolutionary as the salad bar at Garfunkel’s"

"12) To model on the catwalks of the Milan fashion week these days, you must:

eat enough to have a Body Mass Index of 18.5 or above

be really, really pretty.

be a direct descendent of "

a direct descendent of ??? whom

It must have been my secret decoder ring.

The message appeared before me in the mists of the computer screen. It said, in bold letters cut out from the newspaper:

"Someone is having a bit of fun in the writing of these questions."

Had to cheat a bit, but scored high. Foodie Me. :smile:

I enjoyed it. A bit twisted, but enjoyable and amusing.

Perhaps there should be a television game show to follow?

44 and I only marginally speak the King's English. I don't think I'm pompous, though, I've just always tested well. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

"You are served a bowl of smoked eel ice cream in a fancy restaurant. Do you"

taste it and assess whether this method of preparing smoked eel revealed anything new or nuanced at the flavour or was it merely an attempt to throw in a mish mash of techniques to dazzle and fool and ignorant crowd? Then, I would post about it on eGullet

"A Gastrovac is..."

Something I lust after.

"Before ordering a lamb dish in a restaurant, you ask the waiter for the provenance of the meat. He shrugs and mutters something about New Zealand. Do you"

Order it right away because a) I'm a sucker for lamb and b) NZ lamb is bloody fantastic tasting.

"56°C is:"

Rather low for LTLT beef IMHO, I prefer closer to 60C.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

I gave up, because I didn't understand some of the questions. Divided by a common language, indeed.

It led to a dramatic decrease in...take up of school meals...

What does "take up" mean, in this context?

their salads were minging

I looked up "minging" on dictionary.com, and it didn't help. What does that mean?

Funny stuff, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

I got them all right too--but most of these are a joke!  :laugh:

Er yes, most of these are indeed a joke (though not one that anybody in Lincoln, a town with very little to laugh about, would ever find funny.)

Re question 12, something dropped off the page as it went to the printers. The full thing should read:

12) To model on the catwalks of the Milan fashion week these days, you must:

eat enough to have a Body Mass Index of 18.5 or above

be really, really pretty.

be a direct descendent of .... Donatella Versace, Dolce and Gabbana or Karl Lagerfeld'.

It is corrected in our print edition though not yet on-line. Which is odd. Will investigate.

Jay

Exactly what criteria is used when compiling the test score? That you can get a joke when you see it ,or you are extremely pretencious?? By the way, I got a 40... is that good or bad? :huh:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Having read the printed version of this I was a bit disappointed that the range of scores only goes up to 30 - this isn't obvious from the web version.

The full set of scores/descriptions in the printed version is:

If you scored...

20-30 points: You are a gastro-warrior, a culinary thrill-seeker with a palate that knows no barriers, no shame - and no frozen potato waffles and mass produced condiments.

10-20 points: You have your forward-looking foodie moments, but at times you're as radical and revolutionary as the salad bar at Garfunkel's.

0-10 points: You're Ainsley bleedin' Harriot, love.

I thought at the time that there should have been an extra category:

30+ points: You are a member of eGullet!

I got a 40...???

So then, my question is what does this mean? Anyone know?

Explanation of my score from the quiz:

The foodie quiz

You scored 40

You, friend, are a gastro-warrior, a culinary thrill -seeker with a palate that knows no barriers, no shame – and no frozen potato waffles and mass produced condiments

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!