• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banh Mi in the North End of Toronto

Librarian_chef

Hello all,

I was wondering where people in the north end of the GTA (North York, Markham, Vaughan, and Richmond Hill) go for good Banh Mi--Vietnamese sandwiches with meat and pickled carrot and daikon on a french roll. I used to pick them up from the T&T at the promenade, but they haven't got them in early enough the last few times I have been. So I am looking for suggestions, preferably places that make the sandwiches themselves. I know tons of places on Dundas and Spadina, but nothing in the North End of the GTA where I live.

I would make them myself, but haven't bought the book that has the charcuterie in it, from Chapters yet.

Please help, as I have cravings!

Mark

• 2 months later...

there are also alot of them in the Jane and Finch and Keele and Wilson area.

But, I would go for the Banh Mi at Nguyen Huong at Steeles (at Middlefield).

Most Banh Mi shops are only located in areas with high Vietnamese populations. Some of the chinese grocery stores sell them pre-made in the refrgierator section, but they are not very good.

A new place called "The Banh Mi Factory" just opened up at Keele and Finch close to York. I havent tried it yet, so I can't vouch for its taste.

Hope this helps!

there are also alot of them in the Jane and Finch and Keele and Wilson area.

But, I would go for the Banh Mi at Nguyen Huong at Steeles (at Middlefield).

Most Banh Mi shops are only located in areas with high Vietnamese populations.  Some of the chinese grocery stores sell them pre-made in the refrgierator section, but they are not very good.

A new place called "The Banh Mi Factory" just opened up at Keele and Finch close to York.  I havent tried it yet, so I can't vouch for its taste.

Hope this helps!

I occasionally go out that way. Where at Keele and Finch, the NW or SE corner? Let me know what you think of the place when you have tried it.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I occasionally go out that way. Where at Keele and Finch, the NW or SE corner? Let me know what you think of the place when you have tried it.

Mark

Banh Mi Factory is located right on the corner of Keele and Finch (across from the Petro Canada). It is a fast food vietnamese restaurant that has a whole variety of good vietnamese food such as banh mi, pho, salad rolls (chicken, satay beef, or shrimp), spring rolls (with taro) and delicious desserts. I've personally tried the satay beef sandwich and it is pretty tasty! they have fresh pickled carrots, cilantro, peppers and all the fun stuff. Other things I've tried are: cold cut sandwiches, curry chicken bowl, and pho : they are all pretty unique and delicious: The subs are flavorful but not too saucy, the baguettes are crispy but also very soft. Also the bread is thin, so when you bite into your sandwich you can taste all the ingredients...not just bread. Ive been told they make everything from scratch.

The atmosphere is pretty nifty too - very spacious, clean, and colorful. I believe you can also use the internet there as well. PLUS!!! they make their own french baguettes. You can watch the bread being made as you order. Nothing better than eating a sandwich that came right out from the oven. Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

I just ate at the Banh Mi Factory (Keele and Finch on the South West Corner). Excellent baguette. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. I had my usual: pork roll, sliced pork and pate. Very yummy. I would have liked a little more carrots, daikon (lo bok), and cilantro though. I had the small, which is the same as most Banh Mi places, and it came to $2.07 with tax. You can add a drink and cookie for $0.75. They also have a creme cookie machine (looks similar to Walnut cake machine with a banana shaped mold). They have a large array of types of sandwiches, but the prices do go up with things such as pork satay or bbq pork. Not as cheap as the places on Spadina and Dundas, but much cleaner. I would recommend it to all of us northern city dwellers.

Thanks for the recommendation, Khuyen.

Mark

Edited by Librarian_chef (log)