• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

korean style pigs feet

I bought some pigs feet at the grocery store because

a) they are incredibly cheap

b) pigs feet are awesome

Unfortunately I don't know how to cook them. I can't remember if I am supposed to steam them or boil them. I want to eat them korean style where the whole foot is cooked and then cooled in the fridge so everything congeals. After the feet are cooled, you pick the meat off and dip it into that little baby brine shrimp condiment.

Anyone have any ideas on how I am supposed to cook them?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sheena - I see the pork feet vendors boil them in a mixture of spices and sauces. Lemme call up my friends and ask them what goes into the boiling mixture.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Sheena - my friend Eumjoo said that you should clean your pork trotters and then boil them in a large pot where you put in:

6 cloves garlic, peeled

2 pieces of ginger, peeled

1 tbsp sesame oil

2 tsp salt

10 pepper corns

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp cheong joo (sake)

2 green onions

2 pieces of ginseng

6 dried dates

Enough water the meat and boil/simmer until your pork feet is tender.

When the pork feet are done, drain and slightly cool. Slice into thin slices and enjoy.

I knew you'd come around eventually!!!! That sounds very delicious. I am used to eating them plain, but I have had them with soy sauce before and they were just as good. I love when they are cold and "gel" up. Do you know how long it would take for them to cook? 1 hour?

I would say it would take about 45 minutes to an hour to cook two trotters. About an hour and a half for 4 trotters but then it depends on your stove/heat. You should check every 15 or 20 minutes to see if the skin is tender enough.

i dont have a recipe, but i know that they are flexible.

in addition to soy sauce flavour, they can be cooked with five spice for that chinese twist. and they can be made sweet and spicy with gochujang, scalions and sugar.

its all good.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I think that I will add a bit of soy sauce, sugar, and some garlic. I believe that I am out of ginger, which is unfortunate because it would lend a great taste to the pigs feet. I didn't think that it would take that long to cook 3 pigs feet, good thing I asked

eta: any good recipes for dipping sauces to dip the pigs feet in? I would use those small brined shrimp, but I couldn't find them at the chinese grocery store. I am sure I could find them at the Korean one, but it is too far away for public transportation. Do the chinese use a similar condiment?

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

you can dip slices into duen-jang.

ssamjang would also be fine in emergencies.  too bad you dont have the sae-u jeot.

sae u jeot! ah ha so that is what it's called. Yeah, thats the best for pigs feet. What a pain in my ass. All I have is really crappy store bought daeng jang. There is no way I am dipping it into that so maybe I will just make some ssamjang. I asked a woman at the mainly chinese grocery store about the brined shrimp and she had no idea what I was talking about. I think she thought I was crazy. I probably should've mentioned that it is a Korean ingredient. That store blows by the way, because there is only one aisle containing korean ingredients out of a humongous grocery store. Boston is a horrible area for anything korean. I miss living in Maryland.

you can dip slices into duen-jang.

ssamjang would also be fine in emergencies.  too bad you dont have the sae-u jeot.

Boston is a horrible area for anything korean. I miss living in Maryland.

There are couple of korean resturants and a korean grocery store in somerville, ma. It is near union sq. on somerville ave. Not a huge place but it will have what you are looking for. Saewoo Jut (picked brine shrimp) and other items essential for making many of the korean dishes.

Good luck.

Soup

BTW, the place is not a big as the lotte or other places you are probably use to in MD.

All I have is really crappy store bought daeng jang.  There is no way I am dipping it into that so maybe I will just make some ssamjang.
dont look down on store bought duenjang. it will do in emergencies and it will do just fine for pigs feet.

if you live near a filipino area, you can maybe do with bagoong. or fish sauce from a chinese store. both are different from jeot-ggal, but both have that fishy salty thing going which would probably do in a pinch, same as duenjang. you _can_ also dip your pigs feet into seasoned salt, like for eat soondae.

did you make your pigs feet? how did it turn out?

i lived in merlin too. did time in college park so i went to wheaton and virginia all the time to go get korean supplies.

good times.

i havent really been to boston. but i am surprised to find out that korean supplies are difficult to procure. im rather clueless about the east coast i guess.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

All I have is really crappy store bought daeng jang.  There is no way I am dipping it into that so maybe I will just make some ssamjang.
dont look down on store bought duenjang. it will do in emergencies and it will do just fine for pigs feet.

if you live near a filipino area, you can maybe do with bagoong. or fish sauce from a chinese store. both are different from jeot-ggal, but both have that fishy salty thing going which would probably do in a pinch, same as duenjang. you _can_ also dip your pigs feet into seasoned salt, like for eat soondae.

did you make your pigs feet? how did it turn out?

i lived in merlin too. did time in college park so i went to wheaton and virginia all the time to go get korean supplies.

good times.

i havent really been to boston. but i am surprised to find out that korean supplies are difficult to procure. im rather clueless about the east coast i guess.

hahhh merlin, home of balmer and warshington dc. God I miss that place so much.

yes, Iwas thinking about using the seasoned salt - its just salt, gochu garu, and some sesame seeds, right? If so I have all those and well that is the easiest thing in the world to make.

I also thought about buying some of those fish based sauces/pastes from my chinese grocer. I forget what the stuff is called, but it's purplish in color and I believe its just smashed up shrimp...good stuff too. I should've bought that!!!

I am going to make my pigs feet now. I am going to boil them in some water, tiny bit of soy, garlic, and some peppercorns. I would use ginger if I had it, but I am out.

I'll let you know how it goes, but it will take a while. I have to cook them and then let them cool in the fridge so they get nice and chewy.

to soup: yes I know all about reliable market and yes it is incredibly small. It's too far away for me to go to. I would have to take the bus to the T, then transfer to another T, then take another bus. I bet that would take 3 hours, and that is too far for some miniture shrimp.

muichoi, I don't debone the pigs feet or slice them. I just pick the meat off of the bones and chew all of the meat off. I'm sure this sounds pretty gross to people, but I like eating it this way. For some reason, eating any kind of meat off of the bone is more fun and pleasurable for me then cutting up some meat with a fork & knife.

So today I cooked my pigs feet in a ton of water, some garlic, peppercorns, and a tiny bit of soy sauce. I should've used more soy sauce, because there wasn't that much flavour added to the pigs feet. I also used melonpan's suggestion and made the basic "chile salt" dip for the feet. It was quite good and went really well with my beer.