• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need CIA graduation gift ideas: San Francisco

Lonnie

My son is graduating from the CIA - Hyde Park - next week. My sister-in-law is in San Francisco for the next few days and wants to know what he'd like for a graduation present from there. He did his externship at Terra in St. Helena and had some wonderful times doing tasting menus ("think of it as tuition!") at various restaurants in San Francisco. Got any ideas? Thanks!

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

Congrats to you and your son! Terra is a great restaurant and I'm sure the education was strictly top-notch. What is his knife situation? A really swank 12" chef's knife from a nice prducer is what I would have wnated at that age. Something showy, but definitely practical. A Shun 12" chef knife is my always go-to. it's impressive and can be kept surgically sharp with a little maintenance.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I would agree with knives. If that isn't something that he needs, maybe some other kitchen tools. A gift certificate from some kitchen store may be nice. Sur la Table has some wonderful stuff, though it's expensive. Another place to consider would be Economy Restaurant Fixtures.

Boulevard and Farallon are nice places for a gift certificate.  Has anyone been to the new Ame in the St. Regis?    Opened by the owners of Terra in St. Helena which we also love!

Our son did his externship at Terra - a great experience - and went to Ame twice to do the tasting menu. Couldn't say enough nice things about it. It was expensive but we chalked it up as tuition.

As for knives, I think he's good to go in that area but his chef/mentor from Job Corps suggested ice carving tools since he's just begun to do that.

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber