• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to prepare fresh Maine shrimp?

XiaoLing

Hello all,

I went to the market today and luck will have it that Maine shrimps are in season!! :biggrin:

I of course HAD to buy 1.5 pounds to "try." :unsure: They're petite shrimps that are wild caught and still raw but the one failing is that they took the head off. :sad:

Here is a pic: (*note: the spoon in the pic is a teaspoon to give you a reference for the size of the shrimps)

gallery_48325_4009_142201.jpg

I took about half of what I bought and boiled it quickly. Then I made a dipping sauce of soy and vinegar. It's soooooo good. The shrimp is very VERY tender and sweet. :wub:

Does anyone else have any suggestions of how to use the shrimps other than boiling or steaming? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone else have any suggestions of how to use the shrimps other than boiling or steaming? Thanks in advance!

Why ruin a good thing? :shock: If I had a chance to eat these, I would just sit, peel and enjoy until the pot is empty!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Peel them and stir-fried them with eggs.

Oooo....that's a really good suggestion. Forgot about that dish. I'll have to buy more. :hmmm:

I already did what Dejah said she would do if she had some. :wub: So yummm....I'll post some pics when I make dishes with this Maine delicacy.

I was thinking about making a Jambalaya with these shrimps too or maybe steamed egg custard with shrimp....ahhh...the possibilities are endless.

If you get an opportunity to buy some Wild Caught Maine Gulf Shrimps, please do because they are only around a few weeks a year and supplies are regulated by the government to prevent over fishing.

The taste is incredible. It's actually more tender than the live fresh water shrimps I buy in Chinese Markets in NYC.

Where I live in New Brunswick (next to Maine) we have almost a larger shrimp harvest than Maine. But, they co-opted the name. :sad:

When I lived near a fishing village, we used to get them by the 5 gallon pails, about 25 pounds for $10, and extra large Digby scallops for $1.00/lb. The shrimp is best just boiled and eaten at leisure with lots of beer and a hockey game on the TV.