• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Rootbeer Dessert

gfron1

What a coincidence that a root beer dessert came up. I'm in the 'early design' stages of a root beer truffle made with white chocolate. I think if I add a little vanilla extract to the white chocolate couverture I could call it a root beer float truffle. The ganache will be made with white chocolate, 'root beer flavoring', honey, heavy cream, and butter. I'm planning to use Zatarain's root beer extract and maybe root beer flavor oil used for lollipops to see which gives the best result.

I also have a mixed case of 12 different root beer sodas in bottles. A root beer soda reduction could be another flavor possibility.

Any other suggestions?

Rootbeer orbs sound like fun gfron1. Pictures?

Isn't there a thread around here with rootbeer creme brulee? However, I believe that one used boiled down soda syrup.

Another source for rootbeer extract would be to visit your local brew shop. They sell bottled extracts for home bottled rootbeer.

flavor floozy

OK, now I'm thinking of a reverse rootbeer float. rootbeer in the whipped cream, vanilla (cherry?) soda and ? icecream??? This could go on forever...

This thread is why I bought rootbeer this week.

What a coincidence that a root beer dessert came up.  I'm in the 'early design' stages of a root beer truffle made with white chocolate.  I think if I add a little vanilla extract to the white chocolate couverture I could call it a root beer float truffle.  The ganache will be made with white chocolate, 'root beer flavoring', honey, heavy cream, and butter.  I'm planning to use Zatarain's root beer extract and maybe root beer flavor oil used for lollipops to see which gives the best result.

I also have a mixed case of 12 different root beer sodas in bottles.  A root beer soda reduction could be another flavor possibility.

Any other suggestions?

I was wondering about the combination of white chocolate and rootbeer as well...I thought it might be too sweet. Let us know. And yes, I'll definitely post pics.

• 1 year later...

In December of 06 I started this dessert...and I'm finally finishing it! It sure has evolved. I'll wrap it up in the next day or two, but yesterday I made rootbeer and then boiled it down into a thick syrup. I drank some tonight in club soda and it was very good. Here's the recipe I used:

1 oz Sassafras root

.5 oz Dandelion root

1 oz Wintergreen

.5 oz Hops

1 oz Juniper berries

16 oz Sugar

8 oz Brown sugar

4 oz Palm sugar

4 oz Honey

2 gallons, water

Rinse sassafras and dandelion in cold water. Crush juniper berries and add along with hops and wintergreen. Boil water and pour half over the herbs. Simmer for a half hour. Strain to get out everything you can. [i had to use sassafras powder since root is not easily accessible due to FDA warnings, so the powder is hard to get out. I tried paper coffee filters, gold tone filters, chinois and ultimately did a gelatin filtration. You may not need to be as picky as I was.] Add the sweeteners and the rest of the water. Let stand until just warm. Strain again.

Lot's of boiling

gallery_41282_4652_24469.jpg

And lots of straining...lots!

gallery_41282_4652_1269.jpg

What a coincidence that a root beer dessert came up.  I'm in the 'early design' stages of a root beer truffle made with white chocolate.   I think if I add a little vanilla extract to the white chocolate couverture I could call it a root beer float truffle.  The ganache will be made with white chocolate, 'root beer flavoring', honey, heavy cream, and butter.  I'm planning to use Zatarain's root beer extract and maybe root beer flavor oil used for lollipops to see which gives the best result.

I also have a mixed case of 12 different root beer sodas in bottles.  A root beer soda reduction could be another flavor possibility.

Any other suggestions?

Neutral pop rocks in the ganache would give it that poppy, carbonated mouth feel....

Edit: just saw this post is about a year old....oops....

Edited by Tiny (log)

you're just over in Scottsdale.  Take the drive and I'll give you one :)  The dessert is finished and in the freezer for plating tomorrow.  The last step was a root beer cremieux.

Haha... tempting....tempting :). We need pics!

At long last, here it is:

gallery_41282_4652_21078.jpg

The description and recipe are quite lengthy so I put them on my blog HERE. This was a lot of fun to make and the base rootbeer syrup will become two more desserts this weekend.

I couldn't pick my favorite pic, so here they all are:

gallery_41282_4652_22504.jpg

gallery_41282_4652_16859.jpg

Whoa-- Rob!! AMAZING! The sour slovakian cherry gelee is genius. I can almost taste it- I'm sure it was the perfect contrast to the sweet rootbeer syrup. Kudos! Bah! I should have made the drive!