• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

panettone in Seattle

I like panettone this time of the year from local bakeries. I've tried Macrina and Grand Central with Grand Central being my current favorite.

What sources have other folks found for this seasonal goodness?

From the local bakeries, I've only had Grand Central.

I tend to like the Italian imports as well. They are selling this delicious panettone at Metropolitan Market for $29.99...I think the brand is Mirabisse (?) A bit expensive, but so fragrant. The dried fruit is plump and soft as well. Another brand I like is Tre Marie.

Edited by Ling (log)

When I was a youngster & worked for Louie DeLaurenti in the Pike Place Market we would get in a Panettone "wall" every year that I was too short to reach the top of! In the mornings Louie would break open a delicious import & we'd have it warm with sweet cream butter and hot coffee before opening the store. I always loved watching the "wall" shrink as the holidays grew near & it became more of a pyramid & then a small mound.

Sorry about rambling...even though Louie & I are no longer at the store, I'm sure DeLaurenti's still carries a mighty fine selection!

When I was a youngster & worked for Louie DeLaurenti in the Pike Place Market we would get in a Panettone "wall" every year that I was too short to reach the top of! In the mornings Louie would break open a delicious import & we'd have it warm with sweet cream butter and hot coffee before opening the store. I always loved watching the "wall" shrink as the holidays grew near & it became more of a pyramid & then a small mound.

Sorry about rambling...even though Louie & I are no longer at the store, I'm sure DeLaurenti's still carries a mighty fine selection!

What a great memory to have!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Sorry to butt my nose in here and offer up a slightly off-topic response, but if you love pannetone, you MUST make some french toast out of it.

It has become a Christmas morning tradition for me and my husband, topped with a homemade cinnamon syrup and served with mimosas (or some other fruity, bubbly drink).

Oh, and I tend to buy the penntone wherever I can find it - Trader Joe's, as someone already mentioned, offers it up on the cheap, for instance.

Bryan Ochalla, a.k.a. "Techno Foodie"

http://technofoodie.blogspot.com/

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

Orson Welles (1915 - 1985)

We had a Tre Marie brand Pandoro (fruit-free cousin of the panettone) on Christmas morning. The texture was soft and fluffy and the aroma was rich and sweet. It also came with a generous packet of icing sugar to sprinkle over the top. Even the panetonne skeptics gave it high marks.

Unless, or perhaps even if, I teach myself to bake one at some point this year, I will buy another one of these next holiday season.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

We had panettone for breakfast on Christmas morning too. We had a Balocco pandoro with limoncello curd and a separate sugar dust packet, which I think is delicious, and also a Perugina Bacio which is chocolate-covered and isn't my favorite, although my husband adores it. Both of those were from PFI.