• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tabasco abandons museum, builds levee

Chad

McIlhenny Co., the makers of Tabasco sauce, have scrapped plans to build a $9.5 million museum in two historic buildings on Julia Street at St. Charles Avenue and will spend the money instead on a 17-foot levee to protect its Avery Island Production facility in Vermilion Parish, officials said. . . .

While Avery Island is 13 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, it is only a few miles from Vermilion Bay, where storm surge poured over the lower points of the island.

The island has salt dome hills, and the plant sits 9 1/2 feet above sea level. The flood waters stopped only inches from entering the plant and operations were able to resume in days once power was restored.

"We've got to protect the nation from bland food," company vice president Tony Simmons said.

Times Picayune story here.

Seems there was to be a museum, retail outlet, offices and a cooking school to draw tourism. But the tourists aren't coming and more storms are. I do think the VP put a nice spin on it, though.

Chad

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

When the government abandons the public interest, we have to do it ourselves ... and sometimes that takes priority over the nicer, more important but less urgent things we'd like to do ...

... and I don't know what life would be like without Tabasco -- I buy it by the gallon!!!

:shock::laugh:

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK