• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wasting food is a "sin"

SheenaGreena

I suspect use of the word "sin" was an example of hyperbole?

As far as bones go, making stock out of them would seem to be a good allocation of resources?

SB (although my dogs might not agree  )

exactly. Sorry if I offended anyone...I didn't mean that wasting food is literally considered a sin. The title of this thread was a bad choice.

there is nothing wrong with choosing to throw away bones, scraps, etc, I just wanted to know if there was anyone out there that tends to do the same?

Again.....PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD LITERALLY.

p.s. throwing away broccoli stems is bad :angry: !!!! they are so yummy and crunchy

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

While I agree that wasting food, such as broccoli stems or asparagus ends is wasteful...I think that sucking on chicken bones and chewing orange pith is a bit obsessive. To imply that others should follow suit is a bit sanctimonious.

hey, I don't think sucking on chicken bones and chewing orange piths is considered obsessive. I was taught at a young age that the marrow in the beef and chicken bones was very delicious and nutritious. I am part korean so this may have a lot to do with it. You don't eat bone marrow? My friend does a lovely appetizer at his restaurant of roasted bone marrow with maine sea salt. very simple and very delicious

Anyone who wants to see food waste on a truly sinful scale ought to work in a restaurant some time. Huge trash cans full of food are thrown out every 15 minutes or so.

I'm a big supporter of charities that get the leftover food from restaurants and distribute it to shelters and such where it can go to good use. Organizations like Share Our Strength on a national level or Philabundance locally.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I spent the whole of my chidren's youth in HK pleading with them NOT to chew chicken/other bones like their friends did as they would damage their digestive system....well that's what I was told by my mother.....the kids are not children any more and not a perforation in sight :rolleyes:

BTW I love marrow, just not getting at it the way they do :shock:

I spent the whole of my chidren's youth in HK pleading with them NOT to chew chicken/other bones like their friends did as they would damage their digestive system....well that's what I was told by my mother.....the kids are not children any more and not a perforation in sight :rolleyes: 

BTW I love marrow, just not getting at it the way they do :shock:

yeah, you have to watch out especially if you accidently swallow some pieces of bone. Also very dangerous for dogs

While I agree that wasting food, such as broccoli stems or asparagus ends is wasteful...I think that sucking on chicken bones and chewing orange pith is a bit obsessive. To imply that others should follow suit is a bit sanctimonious.

hey, I don't think sucking on chicken bones and chewing orange piths is considered obsessive. I was taught at a young age that the marrow in the beef and chicken bones was very delicious and nutritious. I am part korean so this may have a lot to do with it. You don't eat bone marrow? My friend does a lovely appetizer at his restaurant of roasted bone marrow with maine sea salt. very simple and very delicious

Hi SheenaGeena: In the context of your orginal post I thought you were implying that these choices were motivated by a need to not waste food, and that to not follow these examples was somehow wrong(Sinful). Now that you have clarified the personal and cultural reasons for your choices...I completely see your point.

It's actually a very worthwhile topic. If more people thought a bit more about how they utilized their food(trim and waste) then we would all be a bit better off.

Lefty Ruggiero to Donnie Brasco: "Anywhere you go, all around the world, all the best cooks are men."

It's actually a very worthwhile topic. If more people thought a bit more about how they utilized their food(trim and waste) then we would all be a bit better off.

I know the cultural knee-jerk response is to think that we would be better off if we wasted less food, but from an academic perspective, is this really the case? Is my wasting my asparagus stems taking food out of someone else's mouth? In this country of excess, does the wasting of food by some create a shortage for others? As I understand it, the US exports ridiculous amounts of food, it is one of the things we do very well in this country. If some people dont eat their broccolli stems, what is the issue? It isn't reasonable to think that all the "micro-waste" occuring at each meal should somehow be quantified, totaled, and valued as "macro-waste" that we should control.

Either way, I am a selfish person. I hate the texture of chicken cartilage and won't eat it.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I know the cultural knee-jerk response is to think that we would be better off if we wasted less food, but from an academic perspective, is this really the case? Is my wasting my asparagus stems taking food out of someone else's mouth? In this country of excess, does the wasting of food by some create a shortage for others? As I understand it, the US exports ridiculous amounts of food, it is one of the things we do very well in this country. If some people dont eat their broccolli stems, what is the issue? It isn't reasonable to think that all the "micro-waste" occuring at each meal should somehow be quantified, totaled, and valued as "macro-waste" that we should control.

Either way, I am a selfish person. I hate the texture of chicken cartilage and won't eat it.

That's somewhat similar to the reaction of young children to the "starving babies in Africa" argument for finishing their dinner; ie, that the "starving babies" would be quite welcome to their broccolli, or whatever, if the parents can figure out a way to get it to them. :biggrin:

Many of us, perhaps due to these subliminal messages our parents implanted when we were young and impressionable, do see "waste" of food as wrong, if not quite "sinful", whether eating it is practical or really good for us or not.

In fact, a lot of Americans, children unfortunately included, would be better of "wasting" more food than consuming it. Their problem is distinguishing between

what to eat more or less of.

SB (admits to having used the "Starving crack babies in Minneapolis..." line on his Grandson, but may be forced reconsider?) :wink:

of course it's better to not waste food, BUT I won't hate you if you do :raz:

to each their own, eat what you want and "waste" what you want.

the idea behind the thread was to find out what people ate where most people would throw them away

ex: celery leaves.

I am still kicking myself in the ass for this thread, sorry everyone

I've enjoyed reading it, SheenaGreena. So I hope you don't kick yourself in the ass too hard. :wink:

"Sin" was not a word used in my own childhood, so my own memories or feelings don't knee-jerk to the word, but I do have friends who intensely knee-jerk at the word, not only knee-jerk but dance with a bit of agony.

There are many things that *can* be used to eat or cook with that we do throw away unthinkingly, many of us. It is good to learn what these things are, in the many various cultures and backgrounds that we come from, if only solely for the simple knowledge of it.

So, thanks for the thread and I hope to learn more. :smile:

of course it's better to not waste food, BUT I won't hate you if you do  :raz:

to each their own, eat what you want and "waste" what you want. 

the idea behind the thread was to find out what people ate where most people would throw them away

ex:  celery leaves.

I think this thread is actually exploring some interesting ideas, although maybe not entirely in line with the original intent?

For example, my Grandson, like most three-year olds, tends to "waste" a lot of food, and then be hungry for a cookie five minutes after dinner. I often find myself finishing his meal....if he hasn't mashed it into oblivion. (This is where dogs come in handy! :biggrin: )

But is my eating food I don't really need or want, or feeding perfectly good human food to dogs considered "waste"?

SB (chops up celery leaves for use in tossed salads) :wink:

Please stop kicking your ass.

I understand exactly what you were asking with your origianl post and think it brings about a great discussion.

We all have things that we love to eat that perhpas others would trash. I love broccoli stalks and I think the skin of a baked potatoe is the best part. iIget every bit of goodness I can from asparagus ana hate throwing away any part of a mushroom.

One of my gramdmother's favorite phrases when I was growign up was "Waste not, want not."

Thanks for starting this discussion.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

The only thing I get obsessive about not wasting is anything I've caught/shot/trapped or otherwise killed myself. I have my deerhides tanned, I've pulled the "achilles" tendons out and cured them and used them as thread, I've splintered the thigh bones after I've used them to make stock and then carved needles out ot the bones... about all I won't use are the kidneys, livers (organophosphates, anyone? The deer I shoot eat mostly corn and soybeans) and the brains (CWD, similar to BSE); if I could stand the way it smelled I'd render the tallow and use it for soap.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

The only thing I get obsessive about not wasting is anything I've caught/shot/trapped or otherwise killed myself.  I have my deerhides tanned, I've pulled the "achilles" tendons out and cured them and used them as thread, I've splintered the thigh bones after I've used them to make stock and then carved needles out ot the bones... about all I won't use are the kidneys, livers (organophosphates, anyone?  The deer I shoot eat mostly corn and soybeans) and the brains (CWD, similar to BSE); if I could stand the way it smelled I'd render the tallow and use it for soap.

I can recall from my childhood that my grandfather was extremely fond of deer liver.It always looked like beef liver to me. At the time I was not even fond of beef liver, so I was not game enough to try the other.What is wrong with the liver?

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

I don't think that wasting the asparagus stems is taking food out of someone else's mouth but if you saved those stems (and the peels) and saved other bits of food (like onion, carrot scraps, parsely stems, etc) then you could make a decent pot of soup from scraps.

For many people, who may not have a lot of money, this can add up to some decent food bill savings and a great pot of soup!

I don't think that wasting the asparagus stems is taking food out of someone else's mouth but if you saved those stems (and the peels) and saved other bits of food (like onion, carrot scraps, parsely stems, etc) then you could make a decent pot of soup from scraps. 

I feel more guilty over throwing away leftovers than about wasting food during prep. It seems disrespectful not only of the food, but of the person who went to the trouble to prepare and serve it, even if that person is me!

I'm pretty good at estimating the correct amount to cook, and often actually plan on having a certain amount left over for subsequent meals, but occasionally I miscalculate. Sunday night is when I try to use up any surplus with dishes like soups, chef-style salads, or a quiche.

SB (Dogs come in handy in this case too) :wink:

As a kid growing up on a mid-western farm in the 50’s we were required to eat everything. The cop out was everything we didn’t like was a necessity of life. This included having to eat all your fat, especially if it was beef fat because it was supposed to help keep you warm on our –20 evenings. Marrow, calves brains, left over testicles after the castrations and any part of an animal that didn’t smell too bad was to be consumed. Well, I’m no kid anymore and I toss anything I don’t like, which includes just about everything that’s been mentioned. I guess that makes me a sinner and the next stop is the fire of hell.

Edited by Jim Charles (log)

I love pineapple cores, dusted with sea salt. I am addicted to it.

I've heard that pineapple cores are what pineapple processing plants make the canned/bottled pineapple juice from, after canning the softer parts as canned fruit.

Pineapple cores are also delicious in lassi (blend with yogurt, sugar to taste, and enough water to thin for a "smoothie") -- a friend from Malaysia suggested this.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I can recall from my childhood  that my grandfather was extremely fond of deer liver.It always looked like beef liver to me. At the time I was not even fond of beef liver, so I was not game enough to try the other.What is wrong with the liver?

I'm afraid of eating them because of the pesticides and fertilizers sprayed on the crops the deer eat; which would be concentrated in the liver and kidneys. I'll use the heart, though. Great on its own or as a reinforcement in stock.

No kidding ! Mine love the asparagus bottoms, too (if it came off the chopping block, it must be meat ! dogthink) so no waste there :biggrin:

In my case it was my Nana's cat, Ike. Nana didn't believe in trimming the asparagus, just washing it, so when you ate it from the top down, you'd get to a point where the last bite left a fuzz of silky fibres attached to the tough "butt end". Ike's idea of heaven on a plate was all the stringy leftovers! :raz: I saw him go thru about 10 pieces at one time. He was a GREAT cat!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

No kidding ! Mine love the asparagus bottoms, too (if it came off the chopping block, it must be meat ! dogthink) so no waste there :biggrin:

In my case it was my Nana's cat, Ike. Nana didn't believe in trimming the asparagus, just washing it, so when you ate it from the top down, you'd get to a point where the last bite left a fuzz of silky fibres attached to the tough "butt end". Ike's idea of heaven on a plate was all the stringy leftovers! :raz: I saw him go thru about 10 pieces at one time. He was a GREAT cat!

I can only imagine what his litterbox smelled like.