• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wasting food is a "sin"

SheenaGreena

Am I the only person who tries to eat all of the edible parts of both animals and plants? For example, do you simply throw away your orange peels or do you munch on the pith? I love eating the pith and scrape it off the peel with my teeth, I think its delicious.

Do you injest apples, core, seeds, stem, and all? I know the seeds have cyanide in them, but it won't kill you to eat a few seeds.

Do you eat the cartilage off of rib bones and chicken bones? Do you crack chicken bones in half and chew on them so the marrow will squeeze out?

how about melon rinds? I love eating the green parts of watermelon rinds (and yes they taste great pickled).

Do any of you eat any other parts of foods that are normally thrown away?

also, what is up with people snapping asparagus in half and throwing the bottom part away or using it for stock? Just eat the damn thing!

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

While I agree that wasting food, such as broccoli stems or asparagus ends is wasteful...I think that sucking on chicken bones and chewing orange pith is a bit obsessive. To imply that others should follow suit is a bit sanctimonious.

Lefty Ruggiero to Donnie Brasco: "Anywhere you go, all around the world, all the best cooks are men."

I hate wasting food too, but some of the things you mention I wouldn't class as food.....

I think you may have 'unusual' tastes, I'm sure most people find orange pith completely inedible!

The brocolli issue i have comented on before, at least one supermarket sells extra trimmed broccoli and markets it as having 'less waste'. the upside is that stalky (Which I prefer) broccoli gets graded down and is cheaper.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I think it's a cultural difference...all the things SheenaGreena likes to chew on are favourites of most Philippinos, HKers, Chinese, Koreans, etc etc....my kids were born and raised in HK and like to eat all those things too...they even fight over fish-eyes but hate fish fingers :raz:

I hate the thought of food going to waste, but maybe it's the definition of "edible" that's confusing the issue.

If you aren't starving, eating something you dislike just so it wouldn't "go to waste" would border on parsimonious.

Feeding "inedible" parts to animals, or using it for compost, would seem to me to qualify as useful?

SB :wink:

There are many foods that are consumed by different cultures that may be considered out of the ordinary for others. My "by product", "trim" or "waste" is your everyday preference or delicacy.

We should all strive to utilize the most of our raw materials and compost what is left.

To suggest that people are being sinful if they don't suck the marrow from their chicken bones is really unfair.

Lefty Ruggiero to Donnie Brasco: "Anywhere you go, all around the world, all the best cooks are men."

To suggest that people are being sinful if they don't suck the marrow from their chicken bones is really unfair.

I suspect use of the word "sin" was an example of hyperbole?

As far as bones go, making stock out of them would seem to be a good allocation of resources?

SB (although my dogs might not agree :wink: )

I suspect use of the word "sin" was an example of hyperbole?

As far as bones go, making stock out of them would seem to be a good allocation of resources?

Agreed.....I'm taking this a bit personal for some reason. Perhaps I felt like I was being "taken to task" for not chewing on my orange peels and that I was "bad".

I'll lighten up....I'm still new.

BTW....my dog is always miffed when the bones go into the stock pot! :rolleyes:

Quote: Do you eat the cartilage off of rib bones and chicken bones? Do you crack chicken bones in half and chew on them so the marrow will squeeze out?

Oh yes! The marrows' the best part!

Quote: how about melon rinds? I love eating the green parts of watermelon rinds (and yes they taste great pickled).

Hmm sometimes when I still want more melon and there is none.

Quote: Do any of you eat any other parts of foods that are normally thrown away?

I love pineapple cores, dusted with sea salt. I am addicted to it.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

BTW....my dog is always miffed when the bones go into the stock pot! :rolleyes:

Here's a "waste not, wont not" recipe for Dog Biscuits utilizing an oft-wasted, nutritional resource.

SB :biggrin:

I'm one of those sinners that breaks of the bottoms of asparagus. If I want to eat a tough, woody stem, I'll go chew on a bush outside. I also yank the stems off of spinach and chard.

I also don't eat my ribs clean and would say I only get about 80% of the meat off of chicken wings.

I am one step above Hitler I am sure... :blink:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Here's a "waste not, wont not" recipe for Dog Biscuits utilizing an oft-wasted, nutritional resource.

Thanks

I am one step above Hitler I am sure...

Your a bad man Jerry...a very bad man!

I've always liked eating the pith part of an orange, too.  And the inside of the banana peel (is that still called pith?).  But I've never admitted to either of them, for fear of being made fun of.  Glad to know I'm not the only pith eater out there!

You might want to try:

Bengali Thor

2 cups Thor (Banana Pith)

1 tsp Mustard Seeds

2 Green Chilies, slit

1 tsp Mustard Paste

2 tsp Yogurt

Salt and Sugar to taste

Oil for Frying

Put mustard seeds and the slit green chllies in hot oil so that it sputters. Put the Thor (finely diced) in the oil. Stir fry for a few minutes. Add the mustard paste and the yogurt along with the salt and sugar. Cover and cook for a few minutes. Serve at room temperature.

SB (I think banana pith is part of the stalk rather than peel, but it's a neat recipe anyway?) :wink:

I've always liked eating the pith part of an orange, too.

Glad to know I'm not the only pith eater out there!

From the Australian Citrus Growers: "eat as much pith in citrus fruits as possible as it contains pectin, a great form of dietary fibre".

In fact, orange pith is virtually undigestable, like corn kernal husks. People with compromised gastointestinal systems are advised to avoid it, since it enters the intestines in a clump.

SB (not a Gastrointesinologist (?) but a pretty good Googler :wink: )

I've always liked eating the pith part of an orange, too.

Glad to know I'm not the only pith eater out there!

From the Australian Citrus Growers: "eat as much pith in citrus fruits as possible as it contains pectin, a great form of dietary fibre".

In fact, orange pith is virtually undigestable, like corn kernal husks.

which is a good thing, right? many people take fiber supplements (Metamucil, for example) for exactly that reason.

tommy (doesn't have a "sense of urgency" since he's been using Metamucil, but won't eat pith, as it tastes nasty, and doesn't believe in "sin", since he's not terribly religious, and can't wait for his new garbage disposal, which will suck all that junk down the drain)

I admit, I throw out my broccoli stems.

Mostly because the only fresh broccoli around here is broccoli crowns, which have very little stem, so by the time I finish peeling it, there's maybe a bite. Or two. Definitely not worth the effort.

I grate the zest of oranges and freeze it - I've found a gazillion and one uses for it, from the oyster sauce broccoli to throwing it in stir fries to adding flavor to puddings. I hate the pith. It's bitter.

Much of my vegetable waste goes into my bag of frozen garbage for stock. I usually have a couple chicken carcasses in the freezer, too.

My weird "waste not" is pineapple cores. I love munching on them.

But sorry, the apple cores go straight into the garbage, along with pear cores and banana peels. If that makes me a sinner, so be it.

Marcia.

who doesn't eat asparagus at all, thus solving that problem.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I've always liked eating the pith part of an orange, too.  And the inside of the banana peel (is that still called pith?).  But I've never admitted to either of them, for fear of being made fun of.  Glad to know I'm not the only pith eater out there!

You might want to try:

Bengali Thor

2 cups Thor (Banana Pith)

1 tsp Mustard Seeds

2 Green Chilies, slit

1 tsp Mustard Paste

2 tsp Yogurt

Salt and Sugar to taste

Oil for Frying

Put mustard seeds and the slit green chllies in hot oil so that it sputters. Put the Thor (finely diced) in the oil. Stir fry for a few minutes. Add the mustard paste and the yogurt along with the salt and sugar. Cover and cook for a few minutes. Serve at room temperature.

SB (I think banana pith is part of the stalk rather than peel, but it's a neat recipe anyway?) :wink:

I don't speak Bengali, but I believe this is part of the stalk. However, there are indeed Indian recipes using plantain peel. Here is a link to one.

I haven't made this one, but have made others. The taste and texture is similar to green beans, in my opinion.

I hate wasting food as well, and do think it is a sin, however my apple cores and orange peels (if not used for other things) go onto the compost pile.

That's not waste, that's recycling! You'll get either more food or beautiful flowers in the end.

Edited to add: I've been accumulating shrimp shells all year. A stock will come from all this soon. I don't consider making stock out of bones, skin or shells waste.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I hate wasting food as well, and do think it is a sin, however my apple cores and orange peels (if not used for other things) go onto the compost pile.

That's not waste, that's recycling! You'll get either more food or beautiful flowers in the end.

Edited to add: I've been accumulating shrimp shells all year. A stock will come from all this soon. I don't consider making stock out of bones, skin or shells waste.

I have a very interesting collection of frozen fish heads and trimmings in the freezer. Time to clean them out though and make stock, and what does not get used, will be BURIED DEEP in the compost pile!

Reminds me of my uncle, long departed, who used to go out in the back yard after each fishing trip and bury the waste from cleaning the fish under newly planted trees.

Edited by annecros (log)