• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordering Dungeness Crabs

sara

Hi

I'd like to order some dungeness crabs for Xmas dinner. Any recommendations of good places, particularly those that do not charge an arm and a leg for shipping?

Thanks

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Are you talking about live crabs? Most online places I've seen pass on the actual FexEx shipping cost, which is always high for overnight shipping.

With you being in Wisconsin, you're about as far from any coast as you can be.

Might there be a fresh seafood market in Chicago you could have ship to you? I've never seen one online, but you never know.

In my town, the chinese grocery store sometimes has live crabs. It's hit and miss as to what's available on any given day, but it's a possible source for you if you have one in your town.

Having lived in Mad City for many years and now residing in southern Wisconsin I can tell you that you are SOL for live dungeness crab. They aren't usually for sale even in Chicago Chinatown where I purchase other live crab. Grash's in Brookfield has them flown in sometimes but they are still cooked before shipment. Live Maine lobster is easier to get.

As mentioned there is no 'cheap' shipping anymore and FedEx and UPS Overnight can come close to the cost of your purchase. I wish I had a good source for you but I don't. -Dick

In case you do want to order cooked crab, I live in Seattle and really like Pure Fish located in the Pike Place Market. I highly recommend adding some smoked salmon to your order. They make the best I have ever tasted. Which reminds me, I need to pick some up for when my family is here for the Holidays!

Edited by LEdlund (log)

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

One good thing to try is to go to a seafood store or grocery that has a live lobster tank and ask if they can get dungeoness crabs. Sometimes they can special order from their distributor. My local sefood store in Maryland will get me anything he can get from his suppliers, haven;t tried for dungeoness, but it's a good idea!

With all due respect to Pure Fish as reccommended by Ledlund, I believe they carry precooked crabs. You want the freshest possible dungie, which is why I always to go Jacks Jack's Fish Spot in the Pike Place Market. They're the only ones who have tanks and cook the crabs fresh - ensuring that your crab will be fresher than any others bought at the Market. They also smoke a mean salmon!

BTW: No reputable firm will ship live dungies; they only live about 12 hours out of water, sometimes less, depending on handling. Once they're dead, they produce toxins which would make for a miserable after dining experience if you eat them.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Hi

Yeah. I had to give up on this pipe dream. I could get shipped cooked crab, or live, but live would cost $15 each plus $55 shipping and couldn't be delivered after yesterday...

Anyways, duck and foie from D'Artagnan will just have to do! Thanks y'all.

Sara

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Yeah. I had to give up on this pipe dream. I could get shipped cooked crab, or live, but live would cost $15 each plus $55 shipping and couldn't be delivered after yesterday...

Anyways, duck and foie from D'Artagnan will just have to do! Thanks y'all.

Sara

I don't know if you have Super 88 Asian Market anywhere in your area, but they carry live Dungeness Crabs.

Mark

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child