• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Something Special in/around Harrisburg?

KarenSherwood

Harrisburg is my home turf. DH, kids and I are flying in on Christmas Eve and staying with my Mom until Jan 3. We have some plans when we head to Philly (kids going to their Dad's for most of a week) but I was thinking I'd like to treat my Mom to a special dinner out after Xmas. (Mainly as an apology cuz we usually arrive sooner so I can help with cooking, but it just wasn't in the cards...or my daughter's final schedule...this year). My Mom is rather conservative in her food tastes, very meat & potatoes and light on seasoning (she has some digestive issues) but likes interesting/pretty places. She likes the Country Oven, Coakley's and Tavern on the Hill, if that helps. Classic American, I guess.

I haven't lived in Harrisburg for 20 years, so while I know basic geography, I also realized that a LOT has changed. Hopefully for the better.

Haydn's on Pine, which is downtown, might fit the bill. The place has a clubby feel--I think to attract lobbyists and legislators--with expensive wood and plush furnishings and the menu might be a bit more conservative than many of the other new restaurants in town.

If you haven't been in Harrisburg for a few years, you will genuinely be amazed at the selection. Downtown has evolved into a true "Restaurant Row" with literally dozens of choices.

I wholly recommend Bricco - it's at 3rd and Chestnut (briccopa.com) - it's actually run by HACC's culinary school, and it is absolutely INCREDIBLE! An added bonus, they price all of their bottles of wine at only $10 over retail (the idea being that people will order better bottles of wine to pair with the dishes, therefore teaching the students about various wines and foods). Mediterranean in nature... bits of Italian, Spanish, little Greek, influences. Try the braised short ribs - YUM!

If you're looking Italian, there's an adorable bistro on 3rd and North called Mangia Qui - it's very unassuming from the outside, but Qui Qui, the chef, is incredible. No "red sauce Italian," but lots of Northern Italian influences. Cute little Spanish tapas bar upstairs called Subo.

Or...for something totally different, Bayou is a Cajun/Creole place on Second Street (can't remember the cross street - but it's up in midtown -near the Gov's residence). It's BYOB and definitely good stuff... in fact, I have some leftovers from this weekend's jaunt there to heat up for lunch today.

Enjoy!

My very first post so please bear with me folks!

As for Harrisburg - it's not the culinary nightmare anymore! The above selections are great but I'll add one more. This one's on the West Shore & just recently opened although the owners are well known from a previous restaurant. New Market Bistro, located in a strip mall beside Holy Spirit Hospital in Camp Hill, is excellent! Russ & Susie Freeman have done wonders & we welcome them back!

Thanks for the great suggestions. We hit the friendly skies tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to a little food adventure after Christmas dinner. The tapas bar sounds intriguing, maybe DH and I will need to sneak out on our own.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

I'll definitely second Mangia Qui, my favorite restaurant in town.

Bayou is on N Second and Harris Streets, between the second and third lights north of Forster St.

Another good restaurant for 'classic American' is Char's Bella Mundo in Shipoke, down under the I-83 bridge.

For less formal and costly, try Cafe Fresco downtown on 2nd.

FWIW, I am putting together a charity event at 310 n second st (the Irish Pub) this Sat Jan 6th at 630 pm (after the farm show) to help raise money for domestic violence shelters along the the Harrisburg Police....so if anyone wants to come have a good time and a few beers please joins us!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

FWIW, I am putting together a charity event at 310 n second st (the Irish Pub) this Sat Jan 6th at 630 pm (after the farm show) to help raise money for domestic violence shelters along the the Harrisburg Police....so if anyone wants to come have a good time and a few beers please joins us!

Hey Chris - is this at Ceolta's or Molly Brannigan's? I'll see you Sat, but as I'm planning the weekend...

Cara (newsgal)

Just took a peek at the farm show schedule and see that Chris is on it ...

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/paprefe...sp?a=3&q=142789

We'd like to come to the charity event also, but don't know Harrisburg very well, is 'Irish Pub' the actual name of the pub?

And is there some kind of registration/reservation required ahead of time?

Jennifer

Its Ceoltas...just come and have fun and raise a bit of money....we put this together yesterday...I called a detective there and wammo, instant charity event....the pub owner is gonna have some specials and I am gonna auction off a couple of my (new) hawaiian shirts I wear in the show....make sure you come say hi! I will try not to get too sauced!

gotta go get on the plane now...

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Just took a peek at the farm show schedule and see that Chris is on it ...

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/paprefe...sp?a=3&q=142789

We'd like to come to the charity event also, but don't know Harrisburg very well, is 'Irish Pub' the actual name of the pub?

And is there some kind of registration/reservation required ahead of time?

Jennifer

Jennifer -

Ceolta's is right on Second Street in Harrisburg - if you take the Second Street exit off I-83, go under the bridge, past the Hilton and the City Government building, and Ceolta's is about three or four blocks down on the left. There's a parking garage on the left about a block before the restaurant.

Sounds like fun!

I think the husband and I will hit the Farm Show (gosh I didn't realize how the culinary part of the show has grown) then head over to the pub.

We'll be like Culinary Detective groupies! Lol.

Thanks for the info!

Jennifer