• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lifestyles of the Rich, and Why are they famous?

akebono

if you all will forgive me for bringing Paris Hilton to EG...

and i will understand if you don't:

Do you think she asked for A1?

ignore the part about the cocaine, who pays $1050 for a Kobe steak?

would it not be more cost effective to fly to Japan, and eat the

GD steak in Kobe?

$1050...

oh yeah , well white truffles were involved. now i get it.

seriously

maybe if the steak was dredged in peruvian pink flake,

and came with a base torch and pipe and garnished with an

8-ball, i could see paying $1050.00...

this is earth we are on, right?

or did i miss a f'ing meeting again.

-m

pocket lint, inc.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

that link doesn't seem to work.

i'm not sure i care how other people spend their money. after all, earth has lots of different people with different priorities, and different net worths.

without the facts (couldn't see the story), i guess i could say if the steak and truffles cost that much, then i don't have an issue with paris hilton buying it. surely the restaurant didn't invent the dish for her benefit only. meals at top restaurants can cost a lot of money, and lots of people spend lots of money on those meals.

as far as flying to japan to have a dinner, i'd have to think that would cost more money, and certainly more time. perhaps time is valuable to some people. i think there's even an old saying related to that fact.

oh, and, they're famous because people have to odd need to watch and talk about their every move. :rolleyes:

for great blow, though, i know some people who would jump on a plane.

Edited by tommy (log)

as far as flying to japan to have a dinner, i'd have to think that would cost more money, and certainly more time. perhaps time is valuable to some people. i think there's even an old saying related to that fact.

yeah, flying to japan is like $800 round trip - probably more. (at least from BWI to Narita).

eating steak and then doing lines, who does lines on a full stomach anyways?

I have never had kobe steak or white truffles, but is this how much they usually cost? I mean, did she eat a pound of white truffles or something with her steak?

lucky bitch

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

yeah, flying to japan is like $800 round trip - probably more. (at least from BWI to Narita).

I have never had kobe steak or white truffles, but is this how much they usually cost? I mean, did she eat a pound of white truffles or something with her steak?

lucky bitch

I know. I can't help but think I would have enjoyed LUNCH so much more than she did.

But, oh well.

lucky bitch

I know. I can't help but think I would have enjoyed LUNCH so much more than she did.

But, oh well.

that should've been us eating that meal :angry:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

The restaurant in question seems to be notoriously overpriced, according to these CitySearch reviews: http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/7150725/986940. (I couldn't find a website for the restaurant).

If they're charging $36 for 6 raviolis, $1050 for steak and truffles might make sense in that context.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I had the misfortune, early in my career, of having to commute to Tokyo for a week a month for 3 years. Unless you fly coach and book well in advance, $1050 is probably at least what you'll pay for the ticket.

I had Kobe beef once ... because the Japanese colleagues I was with wanted it ... and frankly while it was good, the performance of watching the staff (a senior chef at the Tokyo Hilton) trim and butcher the meat was far more exciting and fascinating than the meal itself. Japanese cuisine isn't about a eating a huge hunk of meat ...

As for Paris Hilton, do I really care what she eats, puts in her nose, or anything else?

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK