• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Hershey Bars

wannabechef

I'm so glad to see that Hershey is listening to the dark-chocolate lovers!

I hate to be a bubble-burster, but Hershey is not listening to the dark chocolate lovers. They are marketing to the average consumer's desire to eat something sweet and, allegedly, healthy. Flavinol, antioxidents, etc. Dark chocolate has more flavinol than milk chocolate. So they (and other mass producers) are playing to the ersatz health benefits of chocolate. Never mind the fact that the high fat level of high-end chocolate counterweighs any purported health benefits.

Me? Who needs a reason to be healthy when chocolate is involved?

Ah, yes, the marketing schemes... and I was trying to be so optimistic...

Who cares if its a marketing scheme? As long as we get good chocolate thats all that matters!

I have two types of the new Hershey's bars in my freezer ready to try tonight.

The only really good chocolate I get is when i order from Bernachon's. I still can't get Belgian chocolate like I purchased years ago. The maker is now owned by a Brit firm. My daughter gave me a Godiva 'Tropical' selection a couple of years ago. Worst chocolate i have ever consumed. Godiva cared less.

I afraid that with Hershey's purchasing these companies, Hershey's does so for a reason. They combine and reduce staff overall in all departments, source ingrediants together and use the same lines. Eventually the products all reach the same common denominator but Hershey's bottom line improves.

It's basic start-up 101, develope a new/better/ product and obtain market share until the 'Big Boys' take notice. Sell and live on your own desert island.-Dick

I bought and tried two of the new Hershey bars just now. The Cacao Reserve 60% and the Extra Dark - this time with dried cranberries and macadamia nuts. The Caco Reserve was good - light years better than a regular Hershey bar and even the extra dark. Its up there but still not GREAT. I think the 60% Lindt is still better. I'm not a chocolate expert but the texture of the Hershey wasn't as good. It was a bit "waxy" - I'm not sure what from. The bar with the Cranberries wasn't as dark as the other but the fruit and nut bits inside make it great.

As a less expensive choolate alternative I think these new additions are great to have.

I tried the Hershey's Extra Dark Cacao Reserve 65% the other night, and I was ready to hate it, since I've always hated all their other chocolate, but surprisingly, it was very good. Not great, not as complex as some, but still good, and a lot better than many, with a nice creamy texture and a good amount of depth.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried both of the new bars with the dried fruit (cranberries and blueberries) and was somewhat underwhelmed. I guess I was hoping for a more pronounced flavor profile of the fruit.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Hey Everybody,

Glad to see the conversations...Hershey's does own Scharffenberger and Joseph Schmidt...they also just aquired Dagoba Chocolate out of Ashland Oregon...

Sounds like they're doing more than just pandering to a health trend. No need to buy up all these chocolate companies just to do that.

As far as the alleged health benefits of dark chocolate, I was skeptical ... but a quick look at research published on PubMed suggests that it's more than hot air.

Among the other things commonly cited, it appears that cocoa butter, unlike other saturated fats, does not negatively effect blood cholesterol.

Of course, I'd still eat it even if it was full of broken glass and polonium ...

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 weeks later...

Also underwhelmed by the Hershey's extra dark with the fruit in it, better than nothing--but not something I'll ever crave.

However, the Lindt 70% is another story. Can't believe how wonderous that is esp. with such a pronounced taste of blackberries. The price of it is astonishing- so reasonable. I am introducing and raving about it to everyone and at the price they sell it for , I can!

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

I have tried the new Hershey's Extra Dark bars. The one with dried cranberries had such small minced pieces that it seemed a waste of time ,no real fruit to sink your teeth into.The one with mint was pretty nice as it was overwhelmingly minty and they also have one called E D with Cinnamon Spice. Not bad but could use a little more cinnamon.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

• 2 weeks later...

I know these don't qualify as 'bars' but has anyone else had the coffee-flavored dark chocolate kisses? They're wonderful! I like pairing them with the orange-flavored ones.

Oh, and the Dagoba Chai bar is delicious!!!

Edited by KarenSherwood (log)

I have never liked Dagoba or Scharffen Berger. In my opinion, the best value for your money for baking and eating is Guittard. I also love El Rey and Giraudi.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."