• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Hershey Bars

wannabechef

I noticed when in a store the other day that it seems the new hot thing for candy bar makers is to remake all of their existing candies with dark chocolate. There's dark versions of almost everything now. I for one think this is great although I have not tried most of them.

I saw Hershey's has a whole new line of chocolates out now with fancy looking packaging and cocoa percentages on it. At first I wrote them off but then one of them caught my eye. It's a dark chocolate Hershey bar, with dried blueberries, cranberries, and almonds. Its 60% cocoa. I have to say, it's damn good! I was shocked that Hershey actually made this. I think that it could easily be passed off as coming from a fancy, expensive chocolatier.

Has anyone else tried any of these new candies?

Hershey recently purchased some German (I think) chocolate maker, and has released some premium bars that are quite nice. So, it's more like the trend of big beer companies getting into microbrews. I had some samples but ate them and discarded the packaging. I'll see if I can find the press materials.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This is the bar I'm talking about:

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/e...ries%2C+Almonds

It appears to be actual Hershey's still. Though I noticed, there was a whole other line of chocolates there with different style packaging that had a mroe discreet Hershey logo. Maybe those are the chocolates they purchased.

So, the bar you had (the one with the dried fruit) was a variety of Hershey's Special Dark?

I wonder if it's the same chocolate that's always been in the plain Hershey's Specia Dark bars. I've actually used it for baking (puddie, pies, etc.) and have always been very happy with it. Tastes good. It's easy to find. And the price is wallet friendly. If they have improved the base chocolate, then I need to go pick up some bars and make a chocolate cream pie. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'm so glad to see that Hershey is listening to the dark-chocolate lovers! I'll have to try their line; my all-time favorite is Lindt's 85% cacao, though, so Hershey will have a tough act to follow...

A slight seque, but still on the chocolate topic: anyone have recommendations on how to work with chocolate from scratch? I mean, from the actual cacao pods? (Books? websites? etc.?) We will be moving to Central America next summer, and will have easy access to cacao trees -- I'm curious as to how I could make my own chocolates, and to see if it would be worth the time to venture into that hobby?

"If you're afraid of butter, use cream." -- Julia Child

I've tried another from that line, an "extra dark" (no percentage) with toffee bits in it. Not bad. Definetly darker than special dark. And I thought it was a bit creamier?

I needed chocolate for a chocolate pecan pie and poked at the baking and candy sections in Shoprite for the first time in ages. A LOT of new chocolate in there, from folks like Hershey. I ended up with good ol' Ghiradelli semisweet chips, but I was a bit surprised at the varity. That Hershey with the fruit sounds like something I might like; I frequently like a texture contrast.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I'm so glad to see that Hershey is listening to the dark-chocolate lovers!

I hate to be a bubble-burster, but Hershey is not listening to the dark chocolate lovers. They are marketing to the average consumer's desire to eat something sweet and, allegedly, healthy. Flavinol, antioxidents, etc. Dark chocolate has more flavinol than milk chocolate. So they (and other mass producers) are playing to the ersatz health benefits of chocolate. Never mind the fact that the high fat level of high-end chocolate counterweighs any purported health benefits.

Me? Who needs a reason to be healthy when chocolate is involved?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I found the other line I was talking about. It's called Caco Reserve. Haven't tried this one yet.

http://www.hersheys.com/cacaoreserve/

Those are the samples I tried. Not bad.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A slight seque, but still on the chocolate topic:  anyone have recommendations on how to work with chocolate from scratch?  I mean, from the actual cacao pods? (Books? websites? etc.?)  We will be moving to Central America next summer, and will have easy access to cacao trees -- I'm curious as to how I could make my own chocolates, and to see if it would be worth the time to venture into that hobby?

Is this demo what you're looking for?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Yeah - I think the special dark one I had is different from the regular special dark. It tasted darker and richer. I really like the Lindt 70% bars but I have to say this one came close. I was very surprised.

you are right. The bar you had (with the fruit) is labled "Hershey's Extra Dark". not "Special Dark".

I know because I looked for it at the grocery store last night. I guess it's easier for me to read a label when the product is actually in hand than it is on a webpage. :huh: I actually purchaed one. Still have not had any of it.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'm not sure if you can get this everywhere - but I was recently at a Costco in WA State, and they were selling a big bag of individually packaged squares in a mix of both plain dark and the dark with blueberries, cranberries and almonds. Very nice indeed!! The squares are the perfect size when you just want that "little something sweet", and the packaging is quite elegant - they look nice in the holiday candy jar :smile:

I, too, thought these were very good and not "typical Hershey"(which I usually can't stand - Hershey bars don't taste anything like chocolate to me!).

I hate to be a bubble-burster, but Hershey is not listening to the dark chocolate lovers. They are marketing to the average consumer's desire to eat something sweet and, allegedly, healthy. Flavinol, antioxidents, etc. Dark chocolate has more flavinol than milk chocolate. So they (and other mass producers) are playing to the ersatz health benefits of chocolate. Never mind the fact that the high fat level of high-end chocolate counterweighs any purported health benefits.

I agree that mass market chocolate makers are jumping on the marketing bandwagon re: health benefits of dark chocolate, but there is also a growing market for dark chocolate based on actual consumer preference. The explosion of varietal bean chocolate bars and artisinal chocolatiers bears this out. As well, dark chocolate has lower fat content than low end and milk chocolate because there are simply more cocoa solids in the bar as opposed to cocoa butter, added fats (fillers) and dairy components.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Hey Everybody,

Glad to see the conversations...Hershey's does own Scharffenberger and Joseph Schmidt...they also just aquired Dagoba Chocolate out of Ashland Oregon...they are an organic chocolate manufacturer...either way if you guys like dark chocolate then try out some other brands as you see them...I think you could fine a lot that you like...

Guittard

Scharffenberger

Valrhona

Callebaut

Amedei

El Rey

Chocovic

There are many that are poping up in whole food stores these days...usually with one or two brands available...you guys gotta try those out if you are a fan of the dark chocolate....

Robert

Chocolate Forum

RE: Sharffenburger - I took the factory tour in September, and they say that Hershey's is committed to allowing them to continue their work without interference. Don't know if it's spin, but the chocolate seems to be the same quality as ever.

Personally, I'm a Valhrona 70% gal, and I get them at a great price at Trader Joe's... :wub:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Hey Everybody,

Glad to see the conversations...Hershey's does own Scharffenberger and Joseph Schmidt...they also just aquired Dagoba Chocolate out of Ashland Oregon...they are an organic chocolate manufacturer...either way if you guys like dark chocolate then try out some other brands as you see them...I think you could fine a lot that you like...

Guittard

Scharffenberger

Valrhona

Callebaut

Amedei

El Rey

Chocovic

There are many that are poping up in whole food stores these days...usually with one or two brands available...you guys gotta try those out if you are a fan of the dark chocolate....

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Robert (and all),

You will enjoy "3400 Phinney" from Seattle (they also make Theo Chocolates.) Or is it Theo Chocolate and the bars are 3400 Phinney? That is also their address. Confusing, but great (and organic.)

A slight seque, but still on the chocolate topic:  anyone have recommendations on how to work with chocolate from scratch?  I mean, from the actual cacao pods? (Books? websites? etc.?)  We will be moving to Central America next summer, and will have easy access to cacao trees -- I'm curious as to how I could make my own chocolates, and to see if it would be worth the time to venture into that hobby?

Is this demo what you're looking for?

Thank you for the demo -- wow, quite the undertaking! I suppose any time invested in making chocolate is worth it. :wink:

Ah, yes, the marketing schemes... and I was trying to be so optimistic...

Call it marketing if you must BUT I'm a happy girl! First, I grew up less than 10 miles from the Hershey factories, and grew up allergic to milk chocolate. BUT as a kid Semi-Dark was my salvation. The new bars are winners with me...they don't make me hive-out or throw up, and they're darned tasty. My personal True Love is the orange-flavored dark chocolate kisses, though. Mmmmmmmm!

I'm a happy stockholder, too. Ya want a really good time, buy a share or two (it's relatively cheap right now) and hit the stockholder's meeting.....Freebies galore!

Hey Everybody,

Guittard

Scharffenberger

Valrhona

Callebaut

Amedei

El Rey

Chocovic

Robert

Chocolate Forum

I hope they don't mess around with Dagoba too much. :shock:

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"