• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant and Bar combos

mmm_chocolate

I'm an e-gulleter who recently moved up to Long Island from PA. On January 6th, a group of 6 of us will be going out to celebrate a joint 21st and 31st birthday in NYC. I am looking for a suggestion of combinations of restaurants and bars, prefereably within walking distance from each other.

We would like to be able to go to a restaurant that is in the $15-20 range for entrees (i.e. not too expensive/fancy), but that also has a nice enough atmosphere to be memorable. After dinner we would like to walk to one or two nice bars for drinks. We are looking for places with a cool vibe that would be a fun experience for a newly 21 year old who is not from NYC.

We are open to taking a cab if the above combo is hard to find.

I have read good things about Bread bar at Tabla, which seems to be good food, nice atmosphere, and not too $$ for college aged budgets. This is my top place right now, but am not sure if the area also would have places for after dinner drinks. I'm really not familiar with the bar scene in NYC, so this is more of an area of concern.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! We are open to all kinds of food.

Thanks!

Michelle

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

The Bread Bar is a really good choice, given your parameters.

It's an eight-or-so block walk from there to the Flatiron Lounge, on 19th St. between 5th and 6th.

Glad to hear that the Bread Bar thought is supported by e-gulleters. The Flatiron Lounge is actually the only bar in NYC that I've ever been to, and I thought it was great. Is that considered Flatiron or Chelsea? Any other bars in that area people could recommend? I'm also open to dessert specialty places in the area as well. This plan may work....

Thanks!

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

Ya know, I didn't mention that only because I was afraid Lupa would fall outside the $15-$20 entree parameter.

But having just checked the menu and seen that prices are exactly within mmm_chocalate's range, I have to agree that Lupa/Pegu Club is the best combination possible.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

ditto that.

as well, if you want more "active" bars (Pegu Club has the best cocktails in the city but it is also rather sedate), it is an easy walk east to the east village or the LES (tons of bars) or west to Employees Only.

actually, another food suggestion in the price range would be Otto (cheaper than Lupa, fun decor and boisterous scene)

• 2 weeks later...
Ya know, I didn't mention that only because I was afraid Lupa would fall outside the $15-$20 entree parameter.

But having just checked the menu and seen that prices are exactly within mmm_chocalate's range, I have to agree that Lupa/Pegu Club is the best combination possible.

Pegu Club looks awesome, I think we will definitely stop in there! Thanks.

Otto is a good call, it's not too expensive and they take reservations. Lupa takes a very limited # of resys and you may not have luck there. As for bars in the W Village, EO is always great, and so is Little Branch.